How do you use a pipe stamp?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Briarfox

How do you use a pipe stamp?

Post by Briarfox »

I just got my Steel pipe stamp and I am wondering what method works best for applying it. Do you use a mallet or just push into the briar by hand? I've been playing around with it and I am unsure how to stamp on the side of a shank. Do you just roll the steel stamp?

Thanks,
Chris
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

You just have to find a way that seems comfortable to you. People roll them, which can be difficult, imo. I try to find a flat spot for the stamp. I have an old rubbery mouse pad out in the shop that serves 1001 purposes. I set the shank or pipe onto that so that I can safely put a lot of pressure on the stamp and then press down- hard. Personally I don't think there is much advice to give other than practice.
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Thanks Scott, Then practice I will!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Briarfox wrote:Thanks Scott, Then practice I will!
You're welcome, Xavier! :lol:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

If you got your stamp from A&M, they're very sharp, and they don't require all that much pressure.

I hold the pipe in one hand and stamp with the other.

Rad
jeff

Post by jeff »

It's also helpful to make your own handle to more evenly distribute the pressure over your palm. The one's Paul includes with the stamp are unusable.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I use an A&M stamp and, as Rad mentioned, they are sharp. Just to make it a bit easier, I heat my stamp and this makes the impression easier and a bit deeper.
alan

Post by alan »

Could one of you please post the link for A&M. I tried searching but there's thousands of results. How much did you guys pay for your stamps?

Thanks!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

He's on this page in the Pipedia:
http://www.pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Making

Scroll down or search for "steel stamps". Paul doesn't have a true website IIRC.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Sorry Ben! I've always read your screen name as Scott Field.... not Scofield!

Well I stamped 4 pipes last night. One came out good. I'm pressing with all my might and it's not going in very deep.... Guess it just takes practice. Think I'll try the heating idea.
sethile

Post by sethile »

I've had better success with chucking the stamp into my drill press, and then pressing the pipe up into it. I have a bit more control that way, but still find stamping a bit nerve wracking.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
sethile

Post by sethile »

alan wrote:Could one of you please post the link for A&M. I tried searching but there's thousands of results. How much did you guys pay for your stamps?
Kurt's right, Paul has no website, but here's his contact info:

A & M Steel Stamps (custom stamp maker used by many US pipemakers): 55 Windsor Ave, Mineola, N.Y. 11501; Phone: 516-741-6223;
E-mail: amsteelstamps@yahoo.com
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

sethile wrote:
alan wrote:Could one of you please post the link for A&M. I tried searching but there's thousands of results. How much did you guys pay for your stamps?
Kurt's right, Paul has no website, but here's his contact info:

A & M Steel Stamps (custom stamp maker used by many US pipemakers): 55 Windsor Ave, Mineola, N.Y. 11501; Phone: 516-741-6223;
E-mail: amsteelstamps@yahoo.com
Worth noting is the fact that Paul has the best accent in the history of human speech!

Todd
FredS

Post by FredS »

I've seen a few guys use a press (sort of like Scott's drill press method). Here's how my favorite Italian pipemaker, Claudio Cavicchi does it
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'm currently using metal single character stamps for identification purposes only. It's quite crude but serves the purpose until I can decide on a real stamp. I press them by hand and find it a fairly simple affair. Perhaps it's more difficult with a multi-character stamp since the pressure distribution less focused.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Thanks guys. I'm just having a hard time getting all the characters in the stamp to come out evenly. Seems I need to roll it on a shank because of the curve. I'll try a press and see how it works.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Hi Gentlemen,
I still find stamping nerve wracking after nearly 10 yrs, and I use Paul's stamps. I use the drill press whenever I can, and I've made a manner of jigs to cradle the pipe. There are times I use them with the handles he provides and I absolutely hate it. I get the sweats, head ache.....
Jeff could you post a pic of the handles you have made for yourself?
I think if I saw something I could come up with my own.
Kind Regards
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Well at least I'm not the only one going nuts. I just found an allen wrench with a t handle. I pulled the T handle off and it fits the stamp nicely. It's a bit better but I still can't get an even stamp. Time to play with the drill press.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Dan,

I'll see if i can get a photo for you. All I did was get a cheap piece of 1x1 pine and turn it into a doorknob-like shape with a larger radius on the palm rest. It's a fast job, so don't sweat it too much.

Jeff
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Ah! doorknob shape! Thanks Jeff! like to see it but thanks.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes :shock: