Pilot hole for chamber?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Sasquatch

Pilot hole for chamber?

Post by Sasquatch »

I tried drilling a pilot hole to help guide the chamber bit, and was really put off by the results... I got a much better cut just sinking the chamber bit into fresh wood. It seemed to rattle around a bit with a pilot hole to guide it. So much for that great idea.

Any comments? Do you guys "predrill" your chambers?
ToddJohnson

Re: Pilot hole for chamber?

Post by ToddJohnson »

Sasquatch wrote:I tried drilling a pilot hole to help guide the chamber bit, and was really put off by the results... I got a much better cut just sinking the chamber bit into fresh wood. It seemed to rattle around a bit with a pilot hole to guide it. So much for that great idea.
Yep.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I suppose it was bound to happen that someday ONE of my ideas wouldn't be so good!

The great chess player Tartakover once lost 5 games in a row in a tournament, and when asked what went wrong, he said something like this: In the first game, I had a headache. In the second game, I had a toothache. In the third game, my rheumatism was acting up. In the fourth game, I couldn't concentrate because of the audience. And the fifth game? Well, no one can be expected to win EVERY game." :P
Frank

Post by Frank »

ToddJohnson wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:I tried drilling a pilot hole to help guide the chamber bit, and was really put off by the results... I got a much better cut just sinking the chamber bit into fresh wood. It seemed to rattle around a bit with a pilot hole to guide it. So much for that great idea.
Yep.
Another one of his lengthy replies. :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Any comments? Do you guys "predrill" your chambers?
I've found this to be true also and now only drill a pilot hole about a half inch to an inch in to get it lined up straight.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

You might want to try a "full size pilot" using a forstner bit. If you're using a 3/4" spade bit, for instance, drill about a 1/2" hole with a 3/4" forstner bit and go the rest of the way with the spade bit. The nice square shouldered hole that you drill with the forstner will sort of contain the spade bit and prevent much chatter. Chatter is also inevitable unless you've got either a very heavy lathe or a very precise drill press that is bolted to the cement floor. You can also reduce chatter significantly by shortening the shank of your spade bit to about 2" long.

Todd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If I'm using a spade bit, I tend to like a full sized pilot as Todd suggests.

If I'm using a spoon bit or a reshaped S&D bit, I use a pilot of about 3/8" and stop about 4 to 8 mm from the finished depth.

Other things I do that prevent chatter are, as Todd suggested, use short bits, and I drill everything on my lathe since it's a hell of a lot more rigid than my drill press. Also, be sure your bits are sharp. If using a spade bit, clean up the edge once in a while with a diamond hone or a piece of 600-grit sandpaper on a flat surface - similar to the way you might hone a plane iron.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

My drill press is not real good, and I will be upgrading that or moving to lathe-oriented drilling real soon.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Todd rocks!