Stain bases... alcohol or...

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Sasquatch

Stain bases... alcohol or...

Post by Sasquatch »

Anybody try acetone as a stain carrier? It evaporates insanely fast... I was wondering if anybody had tried it on pipes.

Obviously we want carriers that don't leave a residue behind...??
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

I would wonder if it would evaporate TOO fast and not penetrate the wood very well. Otherwise it might not be too bad.
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I would say that acetone would evaporate too fast. I haven't tried it as a carrier for stain, but I do love to use it as a degreaser mainly because it *does* evaporate so fast. I think that any stain using this as a carrier would end up strictly on the surface of the wood. It wouldn't have any time to soak in before the carrier was gone.

Denatured alcohol (ethanol with extra chemicals in it to make it non-human-consumable) is the best carrier for a lot of stains and dyes if you're not using pre-mixed stuff like leather dye.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I wondered if acetone would raise the grain like water but penetrate/dissipate like alcohol.

Tell you what, I will run some tests and post back.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Acetone does in fact evaporate too fast. It's almost impossible to apply stain in a uniform way.
Cariztian

Post by Cariztian »

Thx for doing the research! ^^

I was thinking of trying it myself after i saw ur post about it, but now i know!

Thx
Make your pipe