Clay pipes

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
cristian silva

Clay pipes

Post by cristian silva »

Hi, show you some clay pipes that I make. Are made of kaolin, entirely by hand, do not use molds.
Hope you like, Cristian.

me smoking
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Very, very cool! My sister actually asked recently about clay pipes - she has some experience in slip casting and hand throwing. She's also tried to get me to dig a pit for a Raku kiln in the back yard - we'll see. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Wow! Very, very nice!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

The pipes are cool, but I particularly like and aspire to the beard. If I ever got to a place where I could braid and rubber band my beard, I would consider myself to have officially arrived. Unfortunately, though, that could not happen while I remained married. Awesome! . . . and no, I'm not being sarcastic. That man looks like an artisan.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Todd,

The secret is to wear turtlenecks. Schedule your beard growing during the colder months, and by spring you can reveal your perfectly mantastic and braided beard!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

How do you drill the stem?

bob gilbert
cristian silva

Post by cristian silva »

Thanks guys, they are baked for several hours at 1000 degrees in an oven. The raku Paed give an interesting result.
Todd, my beard measured 25 cm. I have it because my girlfriend gives me permission JAJA.
Bob, the pipes are are modeled of a round stainless steel rod oiled, after withdrawal.
Excuse my poor English.
FredS

Post by FredS »

Critstian - Those are nice looking pipes. Are the ends of the first ones in your pictures dipped in wax? Do the pipes change color over time?

Todd - Speaking of artisan beards, check out David Alan Coe's. He pretty much tells the world that he's going to own his thing and he doesn't give a rats a** what the rest of us think about how he looks. Love him or hate him, most of us at least admire that attitude and secretly wish we could act like that once in a while.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
cristian silva

Post by cristian silva »

Yes, carnauba wax. with time changing a little color but not much as meerschaum