a great bowl of tobacco and...?

General pipe discussion
bscofield

a great bowl of tobacco and...?

Post by bscofield »

If I finaly get around to taking pictures of my little basement shop you would see a few strange looking devices at the end of my table. They have nothing to do with Pipe Making and everything to do with coffee roasting! I absolutely love coffee. It is something that has as much variety and taste as pipes have in their looks and smoke-ability. There is absolutely nothing like a fresh roasted cup of coffee (aprox. 24 hours after roasting). I roast my own coffee about once a week, enough for the next week. Now to the subject at hand. I find that a pipe and a GOOD cup of coffee accent each other incredibly. I also like a really good, dark beer with a good pipe smoke.

What about you? What compliments your pipe?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I could just tell you guys were good people. The only thing that would make you perfect is a love of blues and jazz. :pipe:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Does count if I'm an aspiring Blues guitarist, and my radio is permanently tuned to WJZA - smooth jazz? :)

I'll second the coffee. Interestingly, coffee, chocolate, and a bowl of good tobacco are interchangable in any combination - in my opinion anyway.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Perry

Post by Perry »

Coffee is great for the morning and noon times but afternoon I like a single malt scotch. Bowmore Single Malt has a peat smoke that goes great with a good bowl.

Perry
jeff

Post by jeff »

Fellas, I'll post a second to the freshly roasted coffee poll (if there was one. Hmm, ideas!) I've been roasting for about a year now, but my roaster, ahh, popcorn popper that is, broke down and I can't seem to find another suitable one anywhere around this snobby town! I got my last one in Ohio, but apparently popcorn is below the social level here. Anyway, a great dark roasted coffee bean pulled through my Gaggia Coffee Special is nice. The strength of a shot of espresso is a nice compliment to a bowl of tobacco.

However, I'll have to put my vote for best beverage pairing in the alcohol category. Although I love a pint of Guiness with an english blend and pair the two frequently, my first love is from the red wine category, but is oh, so much better. Brandy. Brandy is the way to go with a fine bowl of tobacco. There is nothing like sitting on my porch late on a summer evening with a snifter of brandy and a pipe. That, friends, is the life! Throw a nice contemplative book in the mix, or a great conversation and you have a truly leisurely experience. Do I hear an amen?
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

Coffee goes so well with a nice bowl... I do agree...

I like a nice beer with on too...

Hey Jeff I see your in Princeton...

I live in Vernon, but I work in NYC...

Have you ever gone to the NY Pipe Show in Newark?

There is one coming up on May 29...

Check it out:
http://www.pipeshowsusa.com/ny2.htm
munkey

Post by munkey »

ArtGuy wrote:I could just tell you guys were good people. The only thing that would make you perfect is a love of blues and jazz. :pipe:
Ah, I knew there must be some reason we get along. :D

-Scott
JMB

Post by JMB »

Would hanging out on the "other side" with "seedier side" of life down in New Orleans count for much.

ArtGuy wrote:
I could just tell you guys were good people. The only thing that would make you perfect is a love of blues and jazz.
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

I'm all for the pipe and coffee/stout beer (Guiness, preferably!)/whiskey (single malt Glenfidditch or double-malt JD)/chocolate etc. pass time! I imagine that I'd also enjoy sitting in a den somewhere in a nice old MacIntosh plaid housecoat with a svelte Siamese on my lap and a bit of Mozart playing in the background, while reading an 1899 copy of "The Viking Age" next to a fireplace. The pipe, whiskey and book are the only things that I currently have. Oh well!

Louis Armstrong isn't allowed in my house - at least, not while my landlord's home. Still, LA, a pipe and a glass of Pinot Noir is very enjoyable!
JMB

Post by JMB »

AAdomeit wrote:
"Louis Armstrong isn't allowed in my house" Ok, but "Mozart playing in the background"

Looks like you like "long hair" music. How about the old long haired King-------Elvis. lol
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

I'm beginning to think that you have a spy-sat trained on me, my friend! Incidentally, my hair is long (just to thumb my nose at everybody older than myself!), at about 2 ft. of blondeness. Nearly got caught under a chef's knife at one point. I learned that braids are good things when doing anything industrious!

Fortunately, I'm a full-time student, so industry is not really in my vocabulary! :D

Not fond of the King. I know someone who met him, and the man has been scarred for life.... :wink: Not fond of Mozart either. Just trying to paint a picture of rustic, academic pleasures! :oops:

Ambjorn
JMB

Post by JMB »

"Incidentally, my hair is long (just to thumb my nose at everybody older than myself!)"

lol, did wear mine long when I had enough to matter. Wear a cap now, have to keep the "hot" Texas sun off the old head.
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

I haven't seen any women posters to the group but nevertheless I'll say this nicely in deference to our resident pastor,

oral sex ?

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

AAdomeit wrote: Incidentally, my hair is long (just to thumb my nose at everybody older than myself!)
Interestingly, I shave my head - just to thumb my nose at, well, anyone that deserves it. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Young_Knighten

Post by Young_Knighten »

Morning and afternoon I like a pipe with some chinese tea that I buy from a shop in chinatown in San Francisco, lapsang souchong-the tea smells like a campfire and compliments the pipe well. Night time (ok afternoon too sometimes) I love a pipe with a new castle or two.

Nathan
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Geez Nate, you spend way too much time with your old man.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
Young_Knighten

Post by Young_Knighten »

sagiter wrote:Geez Nate, you spend way too much time with your old man.
Like father like son, but I gotta throw the beer in the mix just to prove that I am still young!
jesperff

Post by jesperff »

Nate, stay away from hard liquor. Trust me, it can get you into trouble!

Cheers, Jesper