Kurts sanding discs

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
kola

Kurts sanding discs

Post by kola »

I am somewhat attracted to Kurt's large sanding discs.

Do these things have a soft cushioned back?
How do you adhere sandpaper to them? (glue, hook and looped etc?)
I am assuming that you can mount these up to just about anything such as an electric motor, lathe or maybe even mount one in a large hand grider and clamp the grinder in a vise?

Kola
Christopher Brunton

Post by Christopher Brunton »

Must........resist.........temptation..........

snide...........comments..........forming..........
I am somewhat attracted to Kurt's large sanding discs.

oh, boy, I'm evil........

No seriously, I use one of those and they are pretty good. (I made my own arbor.) You can also get foam pad to go on them for a softer surface.

They are hook and loop. And I use mine in a lathe.

-chris
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The backup pad, the disc I sell, is a "soft" backing pad - but it isn't actually "soft". They're more like a semi-flexible hard foam, designed for auto-body finishing mounted on dual-action hand sanders. It has give, but I wouldn't call it either soft or cushioned.

The benefit to these is that you can use any kind of abrasive disc you like, whether it's Abralon, wet-r-dry sandpaper, MicroMesh, bottom shelf big-box brand, or premium Norton discs. The paper attaches via hook and loop.

Integral to the use of the pad is the arbor. You can make your own, or use the one I offer. The one I make allows you to quickly change grits without the need to have a team of motors dedicated to a grit or type of paper. The shaft of the pad is threaded, and it spins right onto the arbor. When you finish with one grit, spin the pad off and spin the next one on.

Note: This method of sanding has a learning curve associated with it. It's just about as scary for new carvers as using a belt grinder for rough shaping, or a 36-grit fiber-backed wheel as some folks use. However, it can speed up the finishing process once you've got the procedure of pipe making down.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com