PME ebonite

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
d6monk

PME ebonite

Post by d6monk »

Hi again everyone,

I have some italian briar coming in in the next few weeks, and when it gets here I wanted to start using ebonite for my stems (I have just been using acrylic and abs with the cheaper briar that I had initially bought). However, it seems that its not too easy to find briar here in the US. I did just notice that PME got some briar and cumberland in though, so I was wondering if anyone has had experience using this? Is it good quality or should I keep looking until I can find something else elsewhere?

Thanks!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

How much are you looking for? If you're going to place a large-ish order, you might want to just go direct to the manufacturer. You get the best prices that way.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

PME have a very good reputation with the pipemaking community. They are one of the few suppliers in the States that stock Cumberland and seem to have an exclusive on Algerian briar.

Here's a list of suppliers of various pipemaking "stuff": http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe ... d_Supplies
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
d6monk

Post by d6monk »

For now I probably just want about 40" of ebonite and half that for cumberland, so not a 'factory direct' size order.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ah, PME might be your best bet. If they've got actual cumberland, I imagine their ebonite is going to be good stuff too.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

PME has SEM black ebonite right now and the cumberland they have is from he hamburg plant.

Ryan
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Sweet. Thanks, Ryan!
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
d6monk

Post by d6monk »

Thanks for the help everyone, exactly what I wanted to know, guess i'll order some then!