Reshaped silver and demmings bits

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Reshaped silver and demmings bits

Post by KurtHuhn »

Let me start off by saying that, while I would love to have a full set of bits from Ken Lamb, I can't afford even one right now. So, what's a pipemaker with no spare cash to do? Make one myself, apparently.

I bought a 3/4" bit from Lowes on Tuesday, and that night I took a grinder to it - actually three grinders and a lathe. :)

I chucked it in the lathe and started it spinning at 1240 RPM and used my 4-1/2" angle grinder to bring the tip down to the shape I want - a nice gentle slope with no shoulder. That took about 5 minutes.

Now, the hard part. Because of the way drill bits cut, and the method I used to shape the bit, the cutting edges barely made contact with the wood. I had to cut down the steel behind the cutting edges with the bench grinder so that the bit could make contact with the cutting edge rather than the face of the bit behind the cutting edge. This took much longer, about 20 minutes.

After that, I fine-tuned the cutting edge and smoothed out the divots and flat parts in the face behind the cuting edge with a die grinder. This took about 15 minutes.

Then after I got the bit so that it would cut, and the metal was smoothed out and looking okay, I got out the diamond stones and put a nice hone on the edge. This took for-fricking-ever.

Got my first chance to try it out tonight, and boy-howdy! Some days, I impress myself. The thing cuts like a dream, doesn't chatter, doesn't leave a chamber that requires lots of sanding, and is stable as all get-out. It cuts a hole where I tell to, and noplace else.

Of course, you shouldn't try this at home kids. I'm what you call "a professional". Well, nutcase might be closer to the truth....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

And how much will you be charging for you 3/4" New Bit's + s/h????????
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Yeah, what JMB said!

8)

Better yet, what will you wholesale them to me for so I can sell them on this site?

:D :D

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

YEA! What Tyler and JMB said!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'd love to reshape bits for you guys! As I was working on the bit, I suddenly found mysellf back on the production floor of a machine shop. Man, that takes me back a decade or so....

Let me do this a few more times, just to be sure this wasn't a fluke. :) I need to make myself a 7/8" and a 1/2" (anyone else get requests for small bowls?), and maybe a 1". Once I'm sure sure I remember toolmaking, then I can set some time aside to make bunches of these.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

That would be awesome big guy!
jeff

Post by jeff »

Any idea what a cost would be? How about for bits you provide vs. bits we mail to you?

Jeff
robert

Post by robert »

Hey! Count me in.

robert
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

That's awesome Kurt!

I look forward to see where you can take this...
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I assume Silver & Deming are spiral bits -- to which I agree that the results are far superior to spade bits. I reshaped my own spiral bits freehand on a bench grinder, and the rigidity of the bit makes all the difference in the world. Don't know how I ever got anything done with spade bits.

Jack
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

I agree that after having cut the spade bits down, any problems I had with them early on has gone away...

And I have been using one shaped by Random that has been doing a wonderful job (Thanks mate!)
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the pics..

Will do, but won't be till next week (I'm on vacation and I can't download pics from the camera from home).

I will get some good shots though...