delrin vs. intetegral tenon

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
pennsyscot

delrin vs. intetegral tenon

Post by pennsyscot »

I'm sure this topic has been discussed in previous posts but I'm not able to find it. I have noticed that most high grade pipes have integral tenons. Delrin seems to be very strong, and it's self lubricating property makes for a smooth fitting tenon. Is there some drawback to delrin tenons that I'm not aware of? I don't see many makers who use a delrin mortise sleeve, is there a disadvantage? I have the necessary equipment but delrin is so fast and easy. Should I start turning my tenons?
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

The major criticism that usually arises when delrin tenons are discussed is that it removes the "weak point" in a pipe's construction. So instead of a pipe falling and breaking the tenon off in the mortise--an easy fix for a trained repair man--the pipe will supposedly fall and shatter the shank. Usually what happens, though, is that the pipe falls and you can pick it back up and smoke it instead of having to send it off for repairs. I wouldn't start turning tenons if I were you, but it's certainly just a matter of preference.

Todd
pipeyeti

Post by pipeyeti »

I switched from turning my tenons to using delrin, what a time saver. J T Cooke and Larry Roush both use delrin and I have been told that Kent Rasmussen uses it as well . It dosen't seem to have hurt thier sales.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

*IF* I had a metal lathe I would still use delrin for most of my tenons (at least I think I would). The only time I wish I could do otherwise is when I want a quick taper or very thin saddle. So in those terms, I'm limited. Other than that I'm very happy with using Delrin.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I use both, though I favor delrin for the overwhelming majority of pipes I make. The pipes that have turned tenons are, as Ben said, stems with extremely short saddles or shapes that necessitate a turned tenon.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Another advantage of Delrin (my experience is with ABS - very similar properties) is that it has more "give" than ebonite, etc. You can turn it a smidgen oversize and still get an excellent fit, whereas ebonite has to be pretty much spot-on tenon to mortise size. There's also less chance of the "loose tenon" problem that ebonite/vulcanite tends to exhibit later on.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett