Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Please have a look at the following pipe and give me your critiques.
daniel

Post by daniel »

this looks almoust perfect!
ill be damned.
the stain looks really nice, and i like the way the grain flows,
especially the front bowl, as it is fully covered with birdseye.

the bowl isn´t fully symmetrical, but you know,
last saturday i held ser jacopos mm.. i think it was a canadian, in my hand
and this looks way better to me.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Wow, very nice!

Okay, if you want a critique, the only thing that's really jumping out at me, and this might just be the picture, but there appears to be a slight bulge at the bottom of the bowl.

Actually, the more I'm looking at picture #2, I think it might just be a shadow, but have a look at the pipe and see. The bottom of the bowl should probably be perfectly tangent to the line on the underside of the shank.

Otherwise, I love the way that you've managed to orient the grain. By putting the grain-cone directly above the pipe, you've really maximized how much of the grain that the owner will see when he's smoking/holding this pipe.

Very nice stain and finish.

I think you have definitely got a salable pipe there.

And it's been way too long since I have been able to keep up with what's going on here on the forum. But congratulations on scoring some briar. You have certainly done it justice.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Great lookin pipe!
Frank

Post by Frank »

pierredekat wrote:And it's been way too long since I have been able to keep up with what's going on here on the forum. But congratulations on scoring some briar. You have certainly done it justice.
Nice to see you back in the fray Robert.

Very good job on that pipe Charl. Glad to see that you've managed to get some briar. You've obviously learned well from practicing on Olivewood.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I see 2 things that have not been mentioned yet:

1- is that the top of the bowl looks like it is at a 90 degree angle with the shank, while the walls make the bowl look like it's canted because of their angle. This is most evident in the 2nd pic, but also in the first.

2- this one may have been mentioned but I'm not sure I understood... The shank has a straight line all the way to the bowl, but before swooping up to the front side of the bowl (not the shank side) it appears to droop slightly. Seen best in the 2nd pic.

And for a purely subjective item: I think it might have a tad too much height on the bowl. But then again, the angle of the rim kind of makes it hard for me to tell.
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

All has been told, but I have to say my "Wow what a pipe!"
ckr

Post by ckr »

Very fine job on that hunk of wood, I am sure it is pleased also. Especially so since it was not done on a lathe. I agree with the slight belly on the bottom of the bowl but I really think it is just the shot's angle.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Frank wrote:Nice to see you back in the fray Robert.
Thanks, Frank. Yeah, hopefully I can start making this stuff a regular habit again. :wink:
android

Post by android »

that's a fine looking pipe charl. i love the grain, staining and overall shape of it. i think the stem is perfect, nice job and i can't wait to see some more of your briar creations!
jeff

Post by jeff »

Nice lovat, Charl. Can't complain about the grain at all, can we?!

I'd echo the comment above about the angle on the top of the bowl. It should cant forward just a touch as should the rest of the bowl.

I would add to this that the shot of the front of the bowl (3rd picture I believe) shows that the bowl is not symmetrical. The left side shows a tighter radius than the right (on what would be the bottom of the pipe).

Otherwise, nicely done.

Jeff
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Well done Charl. Lookin' good.
daniel

Post by daniel »

ckr wrote:Very fine job on that hunk of wood, I am sure it is pleased also. Especially so since it was not done on a lathe. I agree with the slight belly on the bottom of the bowl but I really think it is just the shot's angle.
what, no lathe ey?
i´ll be damned, if you´re not using a lathe it is a fackt that just has to be mentioned charl.
now, it looks even better than before.
giospro

Post by giospro »

Very very NICE
Gios
Professional Golfer

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE."
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I really appreciate it.
I was saying to my wife the other night, that having someone who knows what pipes are about, give you critique, is for me, priceless! I learn a LOT.
So thanks again!
Frank

Post by Frank »

That box of Lion matches brings back memories. Like the time I almost set fire to the neighbourhood when I was a young 'un! :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett