Getting the flat areas flat.

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
DanH

Getting the flat areas flat.

Post by DanH »

I'm still in the novice stage and aside from my newly acquired bandsaw, everything is done with hand tools.

I'm working on a sitter right now, and I'm having a devil of a time getting the base perfectly flat.

Does anyone have any tips for how I might get an acceptable level of flatness under the circumstances?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Lay a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface and hold it down with one hand, while with your other hand you hold the flat face of the pipe against the sandpaper and pull the pipe across the sandpaper. If it's really round, you may want to start with a heavy grit like 80 or 120 then move up the grits to smooth it out.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
DanH

Post by DanH »

Thanks for the speedy reply, Kurt!

I was figuring on something very similar (except using double stick tape to hold down the sandpaper, hoping that would allow me to use both hands for downward force/even pressure side to side).

For future reference and tool dreaming fodder, how do the pro's do it?
DanH

Lapping plate/ Sharpening stone?

Post by DanH »

Been doing some poking around this afternoon, and noticed that Stephen Downie mentions using a lapping plate several times in reference to ensuring flat areas get properly flat. Anyone else tried this?

That also led me to the thought that I might be able to use a sharpening stone (since it's probably going to be easier for me to find one of those).

Good idea? Bad idea?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The sharpening stone isn't meant for wood, and is far too fine a grit to actually do anything. And it will load up with wood dust very quickly.

You could use double stick tape, but you need to be sure there's no overlap and no gaps in the tape - otherwise you'll end up with strange sanding patterns on your flat faces.

I actually have a granite machinists plate that I can slap a piece of sandpaper on with some spray adhesive. It's not the only thing I use it for though - it's great for keeping all sorts of surfaces perfectly flat.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
DanH

Post by DanH »

Now that's a great idea! And I happen to have a stray can of spray adhesive that I've only used once. Perfect!

Thanks again, Kurt!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

DanH wrote:Now that's a great idea! And I happen to have a stray can of spray adhesive that I've only used once. Perfect!

Thanks again, Kurt!
That's why I'm here. :D
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com