using Acrylic material

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Schubeck

using Acrylic material

Post by Schubeck »

Does anyone in or has anyone used Acrylic for their stem? I know a lot of people use Lucite, as do I, but i wasn't sure if this was an appropriate material to use for a stem. I found some Pen blanks the other day that would be great for stems. They are already cut to length and everything. Thanks for any info.

Chris
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Lucite is simply a brand name for acrylic.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Pen blanks are a great source of material, and can be relatively inexpensive. They are different materials - acrylic, polyester, etc. They tend to polish easily for the most part, especially the polyester ones.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Schubeck

Post by Schubeck »

yea, they recently opened a WOODCRAFT store near where I live, and they sell the pen blanks there for pretty cheap. What RPM's do I need to be drilling at when I drill Lucite/Acrylic? When I drill, it just seems to start melting the material. I am drilling it on a Mini lathe.
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

There's a lot of names for acrylic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucite

If the material melts in the lathe or while machining it's probably because of a too high speed. Slow down the speed and use sharp tools :-)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Drill as slow as your lathe will go, and use a cutting lubricant listed as safe for plastics. If you can't find any cutting fluid, butter flavor Pam cooking spray has been described as an excellent alternative.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I just drill acrylic real slow, and stop frequently. If the bit gets hot, you are done. It sands beautiful, and turns fairly easily, though certain tools will dig if you aren't really careful. Not my favorite material because it gives off a lovely acetate sort of smell when being worked. :(
ckr

Post by ckr »

Slow down the speed and use sharp tools
and withdraw frequently. I also keep a small cloth in ice water to cool the bit on withdrawal.