acrylic stem has bad taste

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Schubeck

acrylic stem has bad taste

Post by Schubeck »

I was wondering if anyone has this problem with acrylic stems. I finished up a pipe last night, and when I draw on the pipe to check the flow (without any tobacco in it), I get that Acrylicy taste in my mouth. It's the same taste/smell you get when you turn acrylic down on a lathe. I haven't smoked it yet, but I was thinking it could be something that would fade in time. I just wanted to get some insight on this.

Thanks
Chris
Danskpibemager

Post by Danskpibemager »

Hey Chris,
I'm not sure if you are using pen blanks or rods but I usually use Cast Acrylic rodstock from suppliers such as Delvies to make my stems and there is no apparent odor or taste when the stem is completed. I do on occasion use pen blanks as a color variation for stems and know that certain acrylic materials can smell and taste bad after working them so I choose my material wisely. I've heard that there is a solution you can soak the stem in to get rid of the odor but that solution escapes me at the moment. Hopefully someone else may know what it is. Good luck and try a different material next time.

Regards,
Kevin
Schubeck

Post by Schubeck »

That's exactly what I used was a pen blank. I bought them from the WOODCRAFT store near my house. I have some Lucite that I use, and it doesn't have that bad taste. I'm pretty sure it is cast. It's whatever Pipe Makers Emporium sells. Thanks for the tip. I mght run some denatured alcohol though it and see if that does anything. I appreciate your help.