#24 Stubby Bamboo Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

#24 Stubby Bamboo Billiard

Post by wdteipen »

It's been awhile since I've finished a pipe. Due to other obligations, I've not been getting much shop time lately. I did manage to get this one finished. I was shooting for a nosewarmer but the length ended up longer than I had planned. That's why the proportions seem out of sorts. I also didn't do a very good job keeping the bamboo clean through the final staining and buffing process so it looks a bit rough. I'll try to get more pictures posted later. Let me know what you think.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

I like it. I think in my amature opinion that you executed it very well. Are you happy with it?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Tsunami wrote:I like it. I think in my amature opinion that you executed it very well. Are you happy with it?
It actually turned out better than I expected but there is definitely plenty that I think could be better. There's something about the front of the bowl that just isn't right but I can't put my finger on it. Anyone else see what I mean? The stem/shank length really bugs me. The shank was meant to be much shorter. As it is, it needs twice the bamboo to have better proportions. I should have put on at least one more coat of black contrast stain. The button could be more defined. I'm more interested in what you all think.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

i really like it!! nice job!
usually, I dont like bamboo on pipes, but on your pipe it looks great!!
Dotter, Croatia
daniel

Post by daniel »

this one i´d really like to own.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

That's a nice looking pipe. I generally like to see at least two knuckles of bamboo, but it's a matter of personal preference. Good work on the shape and execution. Love Louis Jadot Boujelais-Villages too. :)

Todd
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

I agree with Todd; if there was either no bamboo or another knuckle of bamboo, it would look even better, but it is very nice anyway. I think you are right on in saying the proportions are a bit off...just a bit more (or less) length in the shank would be perfect.

Nice work!
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
humidor

Post by humidor »

Nice job!
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Very nice pipe Wayne! I really like the single knuckle. And if I might add great photo. :D
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

wdteipen wrote:
There's something about the front of the bowl that just isn't right but I can't put my finger on it. Anyone else see what I mean?
In the second picture it appears that the front of the bowl curves back to too sharply after it passes the level of the top of the shank. That curve is not "reflected" in the back the bowl, which has a more gentle "brandy glass" profile. I would think that a little more meat on the bottom front of the bowl to match the silhouette of the back would create more balance. But this impression might just be a photographic illusion.

I like the pipe, a lot. The single knuckle is intriguing.
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Hey, nice pipe. I really like it lots even with the lone knuckle. I noticed the same thing kdbadcar is talking about but did'nt comment on it because I didn't know how to put it in english to kinda make sense. The curve in front should be a little bit more rounded. Not too much though. It's almost too little to notice.

Otherwise....................Really good work man.
FredS

Post by FredS »

If your intent was a bamboo shanked nosewarmer, then I think you hit it dead on. I like it.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford