inlay materials

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Briarfox

inlay materials

Post by Briarfox »

Hey guys, I'm looking to do some inlay work with silver. How do you guys go about it. I've used the premade band but I would really like to find some stock so I can make my own. I would also like to make them thicker then pipe emporiums bands so I can do some engraving.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Are you talking about silver bands for silver inlay?

If its silver bands then you need to buy silver sheet, avaialble in many thicknesses and then you need to cut, solder and make it into a ring using a ring madrel to get it perfectly round. Its not an easy job.
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Thanks caskwith, it would be silver Bands. This probably should have went in the stummel forum.

Would the method you mentioned be the same for thicker bands? I would like to be able to get some depth with the engraving.
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Chris,

I just noticed the website.

Have I always missed your website or is it new?
Kevin
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Briarfox wrote:Thanks caskwith, it would be silver Bands. This probably should have went in the stummel forum.

Would the method you mentioned be the same for thicker bands? I would like to be able to get some depth with the engraving.
The method would be the same however the thicker the band the more difficult it is to make a good band, its just too hard to bent properly. You might be best working a deal with a local silversmith who will have the necessary tools.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

You might look into silver clay (AKA precious metal clay, PMC, silver art clay, etc.), which can be:

* shaped like any other clay when it's soft
* chiseled, sanded, etc., when it's "green" (dried but still unfired)
* hammered, filed, engraved, sanded, soldered, buffed, etc., after it's been fired.

Besides normal pipemaking tools, you might only need an inexpensive butane torch to fire your creations. If you snoop through some of these youtube videos, you can see how to do it.

If you're doing production numbers of a single design, you would probably want to approach a real silversmith who can cast large numbers of pieces at a reasonable price.

But if you're doing one-off stuff like we pipemakers tend to do, I think that silver clay is the way to go.

Just keep in mind that there's going to be some shrinkage, so factor that in and fit your pieces after they have been fired.
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

Wow, this is amazing material, this Silver Clay!!
Dotter, Croatia
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

bikedoctor wrote:Chris,

I just noticed the website.

Have I always missed your website or is it new?
It's new, still a work in progress.

I have been looking into silver Clay. That might be fun to try.
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

Dotter

Post by Dotter »

Yesterday I bought Silver Clay, it is 92% silver and 8% some material that burns when heating with torch. Great stuff, I'm planing to try it this weekend.

Thank you for mentioning it here!!
Dotter, Croatia
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Domba wrote:Thank you for mentioning it here!!
Sure thing! :wink:
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Domba wrote:Yesterday I bought Silver Clay, it is 92% silver and 8% some material that burns when heating with torch. Great stuff, I'm planing to try it this weekend.

Thank you for mentioning it here!!
Please post an update!
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-