Dunhill wrapped in leather

General pipe discussion
Blackboot

Dunhill wrapped in leather

Post by Blackboot »

Check out this Dunhill from the 60s:

http://www.top-pipes-collection.it/H140.htm

I've heard that wrapping pipes in leather was sort of popular in France and maybe Italy, a few decades ago, but this is the first time I've ever seen one. I think this pipe looks great and very sexy.

But how does it work? Is the leather supposed to come off when you want to smoke it? Or do you just smoke it with the leather on?

I have not made a pipe yet (still in the research phase), but when I get the hang of it, after seeing this dunhill, I'm pretty sure I will want to wrap some sexy black leather to my future pipes. It's hot.
Streamline

Post by Streamline »

From the looks of it, that leather isn't coming off. I agree, though, it is pretty sexy.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

OK, who are you guys?

Rad
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

RadDavis wrote:OK, who are you guys?

Rad
Mr. Davis,
This was a wonderful question and I would like to answer.
To remove the leather prior to smoking, one would first have to blend their tobacco with the "toy" of their choice. Then, with a "cat of nine tails", hit the pipe ten times to remove the leather. With the leather removed, drip wax on their nose, then light the pipe. I believe that's what would be considered sexy.
At least, that's the method you had referred to me :lol:
Blackboot

Post by Blackboot »

baweaverpipes wrote:
RadDavis wrote:OK, who are you guys?

Rad
Mr. Davis,
This was a wonderful question and I would like to answer.
To remove the leather prior to smoking, one would first have to blend their tobacco with the "toy" of their choice. Then, with a "cat of nine tails", hit the pipe ten times to remove the leather. With the leather removed, drip wax on their nose, then light the pipe. I believe that's what would be considered sexy.
At least, that's the method you had referred to me :lol:
Ha ha. lol.
Blackboot

Post by Blackboot »

after doing some more research on leather clad pipes, I came across "Longchamp", which is the main company that popularized leather wrapped pipes in the 50s-60s:
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Longchamp

Here is an interesting leather clad canadian, made by Longchamp:

http://briarfiles.blogspot.com/search/label/longchamps

I don't care much for the tan colour, but a black or patent black leather would look really hot on that canadian.

Here is a great link (french text) showcasing a bunch of leather wrapped pipes:
http://www.pipephil.com/article-2133002.html

I used Babel Fish to translate the text into english. Try this link and see if the translations works on the reader's end:
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate

Anyway, based on my research, it does not look like the leather is removable on any of these pipes. Perhaps, I should try to develop a removable leather covering. I think that would be a really nice thing to try to do.

The discovery of these leather clad pipes has my imagination running wild, now. I feel compelled to take this leather clad thing to a more complex level. I wonder how sexy I can get a pipe to look.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Cover these in black leather, and you might be onto something:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Pipe-PHALUS-sculptee ... ms=65%3A12|

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Pipe-PHALUS-sculptee ... ms=65%3A12|

I'm pretty sure Bruce would buy one. :P

Rad
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

This whole topic has taken a weird turn. Im not even sure if we are talking about pipes anymore. Are you guys making fun of French and Italian people? If so, I want in.

:p
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Blackboot

Post by Blackboot »

Whoever says that wrapping black leather on a pipe is a bad idea, is simply not being honest with themselves.

I can understand criticism for what Longchamp and the others have done, that is, forever covering up the grain with leather that is not meant to be removed.....BUT, when I figure out and develop removable leather jackets for pipes, I think that will change negative attitudes towards black leather on pipes. In this way, we will be able to appreciate the briar grain and finish, and the black leather, anytime you want, without conflict.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Blackboot wrote:Whoever says that wrapping black leather on a pipe is a bad idea, is simply not being honest with themselves.

I can understand criticism for what Longchamp and the others have done, that is, forever covering up the grain with leather that is not meant to be removed.....BUT, when I figure out and develop removable leather jackets for pipes, I think that will change negative attitudes towards black leather on pipes. In this way, we will be able to appreciate the briar grain and finish, and the black leather, anytime you want, without conflict.
Ever taken apart a Longchamp? Well, I have on a couple. The grain is BAD, full of fills and of suspect quality.
Briar is beautiful wood, why cover it up with leather? Yuck!
But, I guess, it might not be as bad as the bowl coating some use, which consists of yak snot and soot.
Danskpibemager

Post by Danskpibemager »

Rad
How about one of your trademark blasts on the aforementioned pipe. You can call it a "Craggy Phalus" :lol:
Frank

Post by Frank »

RadDavis wrote:Cover these in black leather, and you might be onto something:
Rad, is this the one you were actually trying to link to?:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %26otn%3D4
:twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Blackboot

Post by Blackboot »

baweaverpipes wrote:
Blackboot wrote:Whoever says that wrapping black leather on a pipe is a bad idea, is simply not being honest with themselves.

Ever taken apart a Longchamp? Well, I have on a couple. The grain is BAD, full of fills and of suspect quality.
Briar is beautiful wood, why cover it up with leather? Yuck!
But, I guess, it might not be as bad as the bowl coating some use, which consists of yak snot and soot.
Lee Von Erck is also on the record saying that one of his dogs chewed open one of his Longchamps, and Longchamps look really bad underneath the leather. He also mentions that there was even needle marks on the briar from the stitching. However bad the briar was, reviews of Longchamp smokeability are often positive.

A leather jacket can be used to essentially highlight better parts of the grain. There are some examples of Leatherchamp type pipes where the leather only goes up three quarters of the way on bulldog shapes. If the grain was any good with a nice finish, then such a pipe would look pretty snazzy with the leather and all.

BTW Bruce, I enjoyed that pipemaking presentation on youtube featuring you and a couple other pipemakers, at a pipe club meeting in New York. You gave out a dynamite tip on how to build cake on a pipe, and I've been using that cup-hand-over-bowl-and-shake technique to build up cake on a couple of my new pipes, and it works great. Thanks.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Old school pipe accessories:
tamper/pick
lighter
pipe cleaners
pipe stand
ashtray with cork knob
pipe sock
pipe rack
pipe knife
reamer

New school pipe accessories:
removable leather jacket
spandex shank enhancer
steam powered piston and stem relief valve
pipe matching man-purse
high-end fashion designer logo gilt inlays
fitted silk pipe lingerie for that nightcap smoke
Playboy mansion pipe playhouse set to let it rest between smokes
French Riveria sandfilled ashbowl for nude pipe sunbathing between puffs
Smokeless vapor cartridge for showing off your sexy pipe smoking self among the non-smoking public
Blackboot

Post by Blackboot »

kbadkar wrote:Old school pipe accessories:
tamper/pick
lighter
pipe cleaners
pipe stand
ashtray with cork knob
pipe sock
pipe rack
pipe knife
reamer

New school pipe accessories:
removable leather jacket
spandex shank enhancer
steam powered piston and stem relief valve
pipe matching man-purse
high-end fashion designer logo gilt inlays
fitted silk pipe lingerie for that nightcap smoke
Playboy mansion pipe playhouse set to let it rest between smokes
French Riveria sandfilled ashbowl for nude pipe sunbathing between puffs
Smokeless vapor cartridge for showing off your sexy pipe smoking self among the non-smoking public
I reckon a new windcap design is in order, also. The new windcap design should probably be black coloured, too. We can make it look like a cool pair of sunglasses ....sunglasses...but, for a pipe.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Umm . . . can we stop pretending that pipes are erotic objects. Let's face it, "blackboot," you're never going to do anything that revolutionizes pipes or pipemaking. The existence of pipes covered in leather is an unfortunate reality and there is nothing to recommend them. If you find them "sexy," great. What you do with your pipes in the privacy of your own home and/or on YouTube is your business, but can we keep it out of here? That'd be great.

Todd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Crap, and here I was just about to hijack this thread with another olive-oil crazed, Ostrogothic, vaguely disturbing conversational subject.

Spoilsport.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Blackboot

Post by Blackboot »

ToddJohnson wrote:Umm . . . can we stop pretending that pipes are erotic objects. Let's face it, "blackboot," you're never going to do anything that revolutionizes pipes or pipemaking. The existence of pipes covered in leather is an unfortunate reality and there is nothing to recommend them. If you find them "sexy," great. What you do with your pipes in the privacy of your own home and/or on YouTube is your business, but can we keep it out of here? That'd be great.

Todd
For the record: I do not make those kinds of pipe smoking youtube videos that I am sure you have all come across, while looking for tips on how to perfectly execute The Frank Method of packing...or whatever.

Regardless, I find it very interesting how the average pipe smoker will shy away from the sexual connotations that occasionally rise up (no pun intended), when folks are in the mood for a little Freudian analysis.

Personally, I think Psychoanalysis is mostly garbage, due to the fact that there are too many variables that the hustler psychoanalyist must intentionally leave out, in order to come to a "conclusion".

However, It is either that many pipesmokers worry that Psychoanalysis is true, or that others will unfairly judge the pipesmoker who smokes an object that just so happens to resemble a certain part of the male anatomy.

In order to combat these Freudian ways, pipesmoking ambassadors try to emphasise the "manliness" of the hobby, thinking that that should do the trick. However, this choice further meshes Freudian notions with the hobby, because homosexuals glorify "manliness", probably even more so than straight guys do!

OK....so....a lot of pipesmokers do not feel that "sexy", and would rather not look at these smoking devices as objects capable of being designed to manifest a sexual aura. But, regardless of how confidant you are with your sexuality, a pipesmoker is wise to develop a sense of humour, given that these sexual connotations will never go away, in regards to this hobby.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

:confused: Huh?

Wait a sec, did you just call me a pipe sucker?
souljer

Post by souljer »

Blackboot wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:Umm . . . can we stop pretending that pipes are erotic objects. Let's face it, "blackboot," you're never going to do anything that revolutionizes pipes or pipemaking. The existence of pipes covered in leather is an unfortunate reality and there is nothing to recommend them. If you find them "sexy," great. What you do with your pipes in the privacy of your own home and/or on YouTube is your business, but can we keep it out of here? That'd be great.

Todd
For the record: I do not make those kinds of pipe smoking youtube videos that I am sure you have all come across, while looking for tips on how to perfectly execute The Frank Method of packing...or whatever.

Regardless, I find it very interesting how the average pipe smoker will shy away from the sexual connotations that occasionally rise up (no pun intended), when folks are in the mood for a little Freudian analysis.

Personally, I think Psychoanalysis is mostly garbage, due to the fact that there are too many variables that the hustler psychoanalyist must intentionally leave out, in order to come to a "conclusion".

However, It is either that many pipesmokers worry that Psychoanalysis is true, or that others will unfairly judge the pipesmoker who smokes an object that just so happens to resemble a certain part of the male anatomy.

In order to combat these Freudian ways, pipesmoking ambassadors try to emphasise the "manliness" of the hobby, thinking that that should do the trick. However, this choice further meshes Freudian notions with the hobby, because homosexuals glorify "manliness", probably even more so than straight guys do!

OK....so....a lot of pipesmokers do not feel that "sexy", and would rather not look at these smoking devices as objects capable of being designed to manifest a sexual aura. But, regardless of how confidant you are with your sexuality, a pipesmoker is wise to develop a sense of humour, given that these sexual connotations will never go away, in regards to this hobby.
Hi,

There is more than only two ways to see something.

Everyone has their own opinion on something as subjective as art and sexual preference/sexuality. On smoking too for that matter. There's more debate and argument possible relative to how negative or positive one is when dealing with things one does not understand. Like a rational non-smoker dealing with smoking verses an anti-fanatic for example. Without going to the extremes it's impossible to be right or wrong. It's just opinion and personal preference/baggage.

Some of us prefer classic shapes, some prefer Danish, others Freehand. If you get a little extra joy out of one or the other, that's fine, I'm happy you're happy. That does not mean I have to view it the same way. I have my own point of view.

Personally I've never been for or against leather on pipes. I've never seen one that I thought was wonderful, nor am I fundamentally against it. I was the same with bamboo on pipes for a while. I'd seen how Dunhill made them and a few Kaywoodies and I was not too impressed, however I did not decide that it therefore is wrong. Later I saw some with thinner more delicate shanks that seemed more in proportion to the bowls and I can say I thought they were nice.

For me the only pipes that manifested a sexual aura that I've seen, were meerschaums that were carved as female nudes or semi-clothed females. I can see that as a pipe designed intentionally with plenty of "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" factor. For me, a billiard or bulldog - not so much even if covered in leather. Everything can be designed to be nice and beautiful. Some people feel that way about clothes, cars, pipes, food, whatever. I do not sexualize these objects I simply appreciate good design and beauty when I see it. If you want to say those things are sexy, go ahead, however I don't see a sexual aura or sexualize them in a Freudian way just because some parts may vaguely resemble parts of human anatomy anymore than I do a spoon, a briefcase, a car, or a sandwich. Even if the sandwich is covered in leather.

Everyone would be wise and intelligent to develop a wise and intelligent sense of humor in order to deal with life in a rational and healthy way.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art