Pipe smoking forum reccomendation

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Pipe smoking forum reccomendation

Post by bikedoctor »

I need a little help guys.

I have enjoyed this forum for what it is; a place for the pipe hobbyist to mingle with the pipe professional in this wonderful craft of pipe making.

My problem is that I've only been a pipe smoker for about 3 years and have many basic questions still about tobaccos, pipe collecting, heck even how to pack a pipe and rub out certain flakes. It seems my questions would disrupt the vibe of this wonderful forum that Tyler and Kurt have given us.

What other forums would I want to take my novice questions?
What other forums do you personally enjoy and why?
Kevin
Sasquatch

Re: Pipe smoking forum reccomendation

Post by Sasquatch »

BrothersofBriar is good, with some very knowledgeable folk hanging around. There's this goof called GL Pease who talks as if he knows more about tobacco than everyone else, but other than that....

PipeSmokersforum is low key but you'll most likely be discussing things with the same dozen people every thread.

There is Tampandpuff.com with a lot of overlapped membership with BoB.

Grayfoxonline.com has a nice forum, but it's best if you have no teeth and think that Kaywoodies are the top of the ladder for collectibles. Nice people there by and large.

Pipes.org is heavily moderated but there are definitely some knowledgeable people posting there as well.

You'll find something.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

There are PIPE and TOBACCO sections in this forum, and I'm sure no one would accuse anybody of spoiling any vibe by posting any tobacco or pipe smoking questions, comments, observations, ruminations, or disertations in them. I can't speak for all members in this forum, but I am just Crazy about all things Art of Pipe _____ and enjoy others sharing a similar or budding enthusiasm.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Disrupting the vibe isn't something easily accomplished here. Feel free to post any questions you have about pipes, tobacco, smoking your pipes, etc. I think you'll find the folks here very knowledgeable an helpful.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Awwww Kurt, you just disrupted my vibe, man.... Now I need another cup of Earl Grey. :cry:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Dude! You're harshing my mellow!
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Sasquatch. Thanks for the input.
KurtHuhn wrote:Disrupting the vibe isn't something easily accomplished here. Feel free to post any questions you have about pipes, tobacco, smoking your pipes, etc. I think you'll find the folks here very knowledgeable an helpful.
Man I was hoping that was the case. I've really become fond of many of the contributers to this forum and really have no desire to go to another forum.
kbadkar wrote:I am just Crazy about all things Art of Pipe _____ and enjoy others sharing a similar or budding enthusiasm.
Great to hear kbadkar.
In cycling, there is always one guy in a group that isn't strong enough to take his pull at the front so he just sits at the back of the group and sucks a wheel ... I didn't want to be that guy. So this is pretty encouraging ....
...just don't bring up leather and pipes in the same post. Got it. :mrgreen:
Kevin
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

What is Brothers of Briar? I seem to recall hearing that one mentioned before, but don't seem to have it bookmarked.

I pop in and out of SF a lot. I haven't really had any problem with it being moderated, and appreciate it if anything, since it cuts out a lot of the flaming and crap that has turned places like ASP into their current states. Call me old-fashioned, but I have never understood the appeal of screaming and ranting at strangers on the internet. If I'm going to take a whack at someone, I prefer to do it in person with a big stick.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
Frank

Post by Frank »

TreverT wrote:If I'm going to take a whack at someone, I prefer to do it in person with a big stick.
Attaboy Trev, you go for it! :twak:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

BoB is just another forum mostly for pipes and tobacco, but there's lots of different discussion. I haven't seen any fighting, flaming, sniping or anything. It's all been really respectful commentary, even when people disagree. It's a good resource in lots of ways for a pipe smoker.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

bikedoctor wrote:
Aside from the dreaded "ad hominem" attacks, that was one of the more entertaining discussions in recent memory. I hope Blackboot is still lurking and more importantly, working on making pipes (or pipe accessories). It's unfortunate that his enthusiasm for leather covered pipes is in conflict with the long-standing prejudice against them in the pipe making community (leather = bad briar).
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

kbadkar wrote:
bikedoctor wrote:
Aside from the dreaded "ad hominem" attacks, that was one of the more entertaining discussions in recent memory.
I agree. My side was spitting when that thing got to page 3. I woke up each morning to see what gas Rad was going to throw on the fire next.

I know that with this forum I deeply enjoy the exchange of ideas between Rad, Todd, Jeff, Frank, you and Kurt as well as the new group of pipe enthusiest that are becoming more familiar with every post they contribute. I tried to interact with some of the other pipe forums but it never really felt like "home".
Kevin
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

One thing I recently found helpful is that, on a lot of these forums, you can block/hide posts from people you prefer not to deal with.

I won't mention any names, but on nearly every single forum I have participated in, there seems like there are always one or two guys trying to bait people into political arguments.

I don't know if they're on retainer for a particular political party or what, but day after day they're out there on the internet trying to start some $#!+.

Political discussions are best left to people who already know ahead of time that they're in perfect agreement. Otherwise, they're a great way to turn a potential friend into a mortal enemy in the blink of an eye.
Frank

Post by Frank »

pierredekat wrote:... but on nearly every single forum I have participated in, there seems like there are always one or two guys trying to bait people into political arguments.

I don't know if they're on retainer for a particular political party or what, but day after day they're out there on the internet trying to start some $#!+.
That's exactly what they thrive on, starting shit just for the hell of it. Look at these so called "Town Hall Meetings" - people are deliberately bussed in just to disrupt things - same mentality as the forum "shouters".

pierredekat wrote:Political discussions are best left to people who already know ahead of time that they're in perfect agreement. Otherwise, they're a great way to turn a potential friend into a mortal enemy in the blink of an eye.
Religion and politics. They can kill a friendship in short order.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

pierredekat wrote:One thing I recently found helpful is that, on a lot of these forums, you can block/hide posts from people you prefer not to deal with.
One of the neat things included with the forum upgrade was this functionality. Hidden within your profile settings is a tab that allows you to specify accounts to completely ignore.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

pierredekat wrote:One thing I recently found helpful is that, on a lot of these forums, you can block/hide posts from people you prefer not to deal with.

I won't mention any names, but on nearly every single forum I have participated in, there seems like there are always one or two guys trying to bait people into political arguments.

Political discussions are best left to people who already know ahead of time that they're in perfect agreement. Otherwise, they're a great way to turn a potential friend into a mortal enemy in the blink of an eye.

You have encountered Fox News - See my "Instant Guide to Pipe Forum Personalities" for the full breakdown of the characters to be found in every pipe forum:

http://talbertpipes.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... guide.html

:twisted:

I don't actually have to agree with people's politics to be friendly with them, since I figure that in the big picture, I'm no more likely to be right than they are because neither of us really understands one iota of what we're talking about. But I draw the line at rudeness, and sadly, a lot of guys enter into these sorts of things already 150% certain that they are right, uninterested in hearing any alternative opinions, and sure that everyone who disagrees with them is an idiot.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

KurtHuhn wrote:
One of the neat things included with the forum upgrade was this functionality. Hidden within your profile settings is a tab that allows you to specify accounts to completely ignore.
What's that, Kurt? I can't see your post. :oompaloompa: Oompa Loompa!

TJ
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote: What's that, Kurt? I can't see your post. :oompaloompa: Oompa Loompa!
SERENITY NOW!!!

Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

KurtHuhn wrote:
Kurt,
Is that the "add friend" "add foe" function?
Kevin
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

bikedoctor wrote: Is that the "add friend" "add foe" function?
Yep. That's the one.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com