Wallenstein: The Jackbone Pipe.

General pipe discussion
Gerrit Jan

Wallenstein: The Jackbone Pipe.

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Goodmorning ladies and gents,

Roger surprised me, and I think not only me, with a completely new shape and a new idea. This pipe should solve the problems that people, having dental problems, have with bigger pipes. The weight. How long can you bear a Winslow EG between your teeth....
This pipe, it should be the first in a serie, will rest on your chinn. Well, take a look at it... and please give your comments....

Grafton Street.

groet
GJ
JHowell

Re: Wallenstein: The Jackbone Pipe.

Post by JHowell »

Anybody here have a picture of a Wally Frank chinrester? The pipe shown does employ a cantilever which would indeed reduce the feeling of weight in the teeth, but it looks like there is so much weight added out front compared to a regular pipe that it will still feel heavy and will take more effort to keep the bit from twisting in the teeth if the smoker turns his head. It looks unusual and may get some takers on that account, but from a physics standpoint I fail to see any advantage over a much lighter and just as cantilevered full bent to the dental sufferer. Saint-Exupery's comment comes to mind: "The designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Jack
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'll take a full bent over a lever-arm with a club on the end any day. Thing looks like it would pull my teeth out, and they're fine.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Actually I quite like the look of it. To my eye it's aesthetically nicer looking than that ugly ass, double L-bend Wally Frank. Admittedly, I would have to stick it in my gob and give it a try to see how well the Wallenstein works as a chinrester.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Goodmorning, evening, lads and gents,

I've found a picture of that famous Wally Frank chinrester.

To my opinion the creation of Roger is an innovation. I have to agree with Frank... before you can give a real opinion you have to had it in your hands c.q between your teeth....
But when Roger tells me it works... I believe him. Four new models of this serie should be ready now... I'm waiting for the pictures to come...

And Roger, if you need a person with dentalproblems to test your innovation... you know where I live... :mrgreen:
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

The Jackbone looks truly like a jack to me - you must have jaws like Henry Rollins to be able to hold this in your mouth :? Again, the craftmanship is perfect but this is not a pipe, in my understanding, but a piece of wood that can be filled with tobacco and smoked. :roll:
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

OUch! A bit harsh, a piece of wood to some is a pipe to others.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Perhaps I'm unique in this respect, but I really don't care for things resting against my chin. What I see in this design that I'm sure of is that it's basically a lever when it's *not* resting against the chin. I really like the shape of the pipe without the stem, but it appears someone took a nicely shaped pipe and plunked a $3 molded lovat bit into the end of it. It's an interesting concept, but I wonder if perhaps it's a solution for which there is no problem.

TJ
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote: It's an interesting concept, but I wonder if perhaps it's a solution for which there is no problem.

TJ
Todd, there's obviously a problem, or those guys at Wally Frank, Kaywoodie, etc. would not have come up with the chin rester. We just don't know about it.

I think Walle has come up with a wonderful solution.

And he is insane. :lol:

Rad
daniel

Post by daniel »

i would like to have one indeed...
makes me pretty quiet.
Walle

Post by Walle »

Oh boys!

When I was young and easy under the apple bounds
I spoke like you do now.
Your speech is full of jeer, fleer,
scoff and sneer.
But crest my years
may far away it be.
My hair and teeth have been competing for a while
in falling out.
Old fart I am.
And battered by insanity.

Quite frankly: The "Jackbone" is the best solution I know for people with an unsound dental situation. I was born right after the war and brought up with American achievements Germans were not used to such as Coke, donuts and chocolate-bars - yet in absence of a decent dental care, as it is common practice in the States. But I still like holding my pipe with my teeth. It works with "Jackbone". Bet your life.

Cheerio!
Roger
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Walle wrote:When I was young and easy under the apple bounds
I spoke like you do now.
scoff and sneer.
But crest my years
may far away it be.
in falling out.
Old fart I am.
Nice.
Kevin
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Walle wrote:Oh boys!

When I was young and easy under the apple bounds
I spoke like you do now.
scoff and sneer.
But crest my years
may far away it be.
in falling out.
Old fart I am.

Quite frankly: The "Jackbone" is the best solution I know for people with an unsound dental situation. I was born right after the war and brought up with American achievements Germans were not used to such as Coke, donuts and chocolate-bars - yet in absence of a decent dental care, as it is common practice in the States. But I still like holding my pipe with my teeth. It works with "Jackbone". Bet your life.

Cheerio!
Roger
I neither sneer nor do I jeer
the pipe that has been posted here.
But youth and age here might agree--
despite this talk of apple trees--
that even pipes upon your chin
should not employ a three-buck stem.
I'd offer up a grand oblation
unto your happy blue crustacean
were it worthy of ovation . . .
Yet "Jackbones" with their funny drilling
garner not a wooden shilling
if they give no better smoke
to the average flouridated bloke.
I'm sorry for those British teeth
which seem to cause you so much grief.
But maybe you should try instead
to strap a billiard to your head.

Truth in advertising; your pipe and your poem have both made me smile :)

Goodnight my demented friend.

TJ
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

That was beautiful, Todd :lol: . At the same time, I'm still laughing my ass off.

There once was a man from nantucket...ahh, shit you know the rest
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Todd,

That makes up for your long overdue blog post. :lol:

Roger does have one cool blue lobster logo.
Kevin
Walle

Post by Walle »

Todd,

thank God your pipes are so much better than your poems ;-)....

As to the “three-buck-stem”: Never would sacrifice so much gold for such a tiny thing made out of humble rubber! I get them by the kilogramm which makes it so much cheaper.

I speculate it was Old Fart 2 (Brad) who shove you query this alleged Achilles´heel of mine. A most hopeless effort that is, I´m afraid - praising Giudici.

Cheerio!
Roger
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Walle wrote:Todd,

thank God your pipes are so much better than your poems ;-)....
I thought it may be pretentious were I to employ iambic pentameter or write in elegiac verse, but I'm glad you like the pipes at least! :D
As to the “three-buck-stem”: Never would sacrifice so much gold for such a tiny thing made out of humble rubber! I get them by the kilogramm which makes it so much cheaper.
I think you're crouching down behind that silly blue lobster of yours and selling yourself short. I've heard the whole "I'd rather make pipes than stems" thing before, but the stem and the "pipe" are one and the same. Or, as in this case, two separate and totally unrelated things. Even with the funky angles, that would be a beautifully designed pipe if the stem didn't look like it were thoughtlessly shoved in the pipe's a**. :lol:
I speculate it was Old Fart 2 (Brad) who shove you query this alleged Achilles´heel of mine. A most hopeless effort that is, I´m afraid - praising Giudici.
Giudici stems are great for simple classic pipes that don't require continuity of design between two elements. Unfortunately for you, you don't make pipes like that. And as far as Brad goes, yes, he's certainly an Old Fart, but I would never listen to him, he's a foreigner! Brad's (originally) from California, and if there's one thing I can't stand it's a Californian pipemaker! Okay, okay, maybe that isn't as bad as being a pipemaker from Alabama, or worse, Germany, but it's still pretty bad! Alright, is everyone offended? Have I left anyone out? No . . . ? Okay, good. I still like the pipe, Roger, even if you did try to screw it up with that cheap molded stem! :D

TJ
Walle

Post by Walle »

Todd,

I´m used to getting insulted by envious competitors all over the world who dwell outside the reach of my legal means. But California? We hear rumors over here saying that there are oodles of dangerously successful lawyers down there (who might be too expensive for Jeff, you could be lucky - he´s definitively not a baseball-pro). And: Has it really become political correct to make aspersions about particular American pipemakers who proudly carry good old German surnames? If so this would worry me a lot. (As far as Alabama I´d agree, though - no mercy for weird cowboys of British descent :lol: ...)

Back to Jackbone: If the 3$S (Threebuckstem) gets sunk into the shoulder completely - would this meet your artistic imaginations and conciliate you w/ Giudici?

I tinkered this one

Unfortunately the fockn cleaner-test is not quite satisfactory, so I had to keep the dummy :thumbsup:

Cheerio!
Roger
Frank

Post by Frank »

Nice tinkering job, Roger. Forget the fockn cleaner-test, it's not a necessity. :clap:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Walle

Post by Walle »

Hi Frank!

Dare to buy it? Didn´t smoke it yet.
I´m kidding.

But you´re fockn right: I HATE that fockn cleaner-test.
It´s a fockn invention of those fockn collectors.

I´ll fockn smoke the fockn dummy tomorrow.

Cheerio!
Roger