Inverted Taper Drafthole?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
m.c.

Inverted Taper Drafthole?

Post by m.c. »

A while ago I was discussing a topic on another forum where somebody proposed an inversely tapered drafthole in the shank, ie. a larger diameter at the bowl side and tapering toward the mortise end. Most people thought it impossible to make, but that person proposed using a mis-chucked drill bit with the tip spinning in a centrifugal fashion. Sounds odd to me. Have you seen or heard of anyone who makes an inverted taper in the shank, with whatever methods? If so, does it offer any advantage to smoking quality?
JHowell

Re: Inverted Taper Drafthole?

Post by JHowell »

What happens when the draft hole narrows? Speed increases. What increases with speed? Turbulence. What increases with turbulence? Condensation. And effort -- a laminar flow is easier to pull along than a turbulent one, which is why pretty much all of us here making pipes strive to keep the effective diameter of the airway the same by widening the draft hole as it narrows into the slot/bit. Also, why would you want to have a bigger hole into the bowl? You'll just get more tobacco in the air hole. If you really want all that, just split the end of a small bamboo skewer, put a small flap of sandpaper in the split, get it down next to the tobacco chamber, and spin it. Spin it more at the chamber and less as you go back toward the mortise. You're just sanding the draft hole, only the goal in this isolated case is to sand it unevenly. It could take a while and won't be easy to measure your progress, make a smooth taper, or duplicate your results, but ditto that for a cockeyed drill bit, even assuming it would work. Which I doubt.

But by all means, try it.

Jack
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

"Tis a silly idea.

If there were any change at all, the smoke hole should expand on it's way to the button, not become narrower.

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

I drill a parabolic draft hole.

Like this: ~~~~~~~~~ :D

But to answer your question and not be an asshole (like Rad always is), no, there would be no advantage to an inversely tapered draft hole. Parabolas, though. . . it's all parabolas these days, boys.

TJ
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

Alright, back to peace now...at least until I pop up with the next even more outlandish questions picked up from hell or somewhere else. :wink:

By the way, Todd, any more of your wittily ambiguous, elusively double-talking, cynically hilarious, and pertly tongue-in-cheek answers directed at these questions will be taken by the timid, sensitive, attentive yet meanly suspicious little man inside me as a thread-worn front to cover your (ancient and futuristic alike) Scandinavian, Grecian and Martian sooper seeecrets from the newbies :twisted:

:whisper: It's a cover... :whisper: Sure, everyone knows...

:takethat:
Nick

Post by Nick »

As a purveyor of whacky ideas, this is excelent. Can't see any advantage to it. laminar is definately better. But what the hell? Go for it and tell us your results! I do know that RC Sands, darn if i can remember his name, but its an R name, tapers his draft hils the otherway. So that the mortise end of the draft hole is the same side as the mortise. Not sure why he does this, but it works for him!