mortise and faceing tools

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
pipeguy

mortise and faceing tools

Post by pipeguy »

Ive seen the mortise and facing tools online as well as there prices My question is would a step drill bit say 5/32x1" do the same for alot less??? Your thoughts would be appreciated thanx Bob Clark.
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Re: mortise and faceing tools

Post by ToddJohnson »

pipeguy wrote:Ive seen the mortise and facing tools online as well as there prices My question is would a step drill bit say 5/32x1" do the same for alot less??? Your thoughts would be appreciated thanx Bob Clark.
Bob,

I'm not sure we're thinking about the same sort of bit here. A step drill--at least every one I've ever used--is a tapered conical bit that starts at a small diameter and ends in a large diameter. It's great for cutting clean holes in steel (or other metal) sheets where standard bits would fail miserably. Are you thinking of a different sort of bit than the one I've described?

TJ
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Many tools seem expensive at first, but become much more reasonable when the cost is spread over a number of pipes. The mortise face is one of the first places buyers look, once they get past an overall visual attraction, for the quality and care of workmanship. Not a good place for half-measures.

I agree with Todd, though, that what is normally called a step drill would be no good at all for drilling a mortise. The steps are too shallow, and the step to the next size is beveled, not square.

Jack
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Take a look at this thread.

If you cant get your own Im sure Steve would make you one for a small fee. He is a nice chap and is making me one to use for repairing some of my own pipes.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4262
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

If you buy a counter bore with the same size guide pin as your mortise(ie 5/16) you can use a drill blank to keep the counter bore perpendicular to the mortise...it is the same thing Chris showed, but with a larger guide pin(that one is 3/16).