cleaning help needed

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
pipeguy

cleaning help needed

Post by pipeguy »

hello gents I have a question for you professional pipe cleaners.I have been given 2 1968 camenetto business pipes from a neighbor whose husband passed this summer. She doesnt know about the pipes pedigree but knows her husband loved them.Sorry I digressed.I'm trying to clean them up allot of crap came off but the outside of the bowl still appears black and no amount of the convensional cleaners will remove it. Is this the briar changing color after many years of great use ??? If not what can I use to get it clean I've included pics below thanx Bob Clark
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
JHowell

Re: cleaning help needed

Post by JHowell »

Shoot, that looks pretty good to me.

Jack
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Caminetto did some pretty strange textures and some pretty strange stains including fades from dark to light and that kind of thing. Ugly, ugly pipes, but totally loveable.

In general, rusticated pipes do well with a good scrub with a dry toothbrush, just to get the debris out of the texture. Then if you have a bit of wax polish, you can put a very small amount on the brush and give the whole thing a bit of a shine.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Frank

Post by Frank »

It's difficult to tell from the pics, but the blackened rim could be scorched/charred from lighting. Unless you're expert enough to replicate the rustication, there's not much you can do to remove that charring.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

I'd hide it... easy job... stain it black. But then you'll lose th original tan colour... but the rustication and the material remains. If that part got charred then probably you can only light it light that and it'll happen again with time; by doing this continuous restoration you'd run out of material :) So if I'd be you I'd stain it black and be happy with it :whisper:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm pretty sure Camenetto did a very thin layer of schelac on their rustications. It will apprear as a weird green mold color if you get alcohol on it.

Using a tooth brush and more alcohol you can scrub the rest of the crap off of it. Wait for the pipe to dry out a bit(stain the pipe at this point... if you want) and then put down a nice coat of carnuba wax... keep in mind that if you put a coat of wax on it and all the coating isnt all off it, it will look like crap in those spots (take your time and get it all off) :thumbsup:

Ryan
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Why wouldn't you just put on another coat of shellac? It's a hell of a lot easier than waxing a deeply rusticated pipe, and shellac tends to cut right through glue, blood, snot, dog shit, waxes and oils, and just about everything else.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Sasquatch wrote:Why wouldn't you just put on another coat of shellac? It's a hell of a lot easier than waxing a deeply rusticated pipe, and shellac tends to cut right through glue, blood, snot, dog shit, waxes and oils, and just about everything else.
Heh. Perhaps a slight exaggeration of the cleaning properties of shellac. But it reminds me of the time my dad told me my car was so dirty I could clean it with dog shit. I thought that was an exaggeration, too.

Jack
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

LOL Jack.... now I know what to tell my kids about their rooms!
daniel

Post by daniel »

this one guy told me he used
alcohol based cleaning wipes which have something to do with citrus to clean one of his natural pipe
which was rusticated too. and the results were good.
if i were you id try to mix alcohol and citrusacid, and rubbing the pipe with the solution.
FredS

Post by FredS »

daniel wrote:. . .if i were you id try to mix alcohol and citrusacid, and rubbing the pipe with the solution.
Try this: In a highball glass with ice, pour 3 parts tequila and 6 parts orange juice, then add 1 part grenadine. Do not stir. Don't rub or dunk the pipe in this solution, but drink it instead. Drink 8 of them. Then your pipe will look just fine the way it is.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

FredS wrote:Drink 8 of them. Then your pipe will look just fine the way it is.
Both of them will.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

FredS wrote:
daniel wrote:. . .if i were you id try to mix alcohol and citrusacid, and rubbing the pipe with the solution.
Try this: In a highball glass with ice, pour 3 parts tequila and 6 parts orange juice, then add 1 part grenadine. Do not stir. Don't rub or dunk the pipe in this solution, but drink it instead. Drink 8 of them. Then your pipe will look just fine the way it is.
I just tried this method with all of the pipes I have ever made. It works like a charm! Amazing!

Of course, then I tried to make a new pipe, and now I have no fingers on my left hand. However, the good news is that, since I drank this concoction, all I have to do is put my right hand near my left and even my chopped off fingers are back!

You should sell this on TV, Fred! This and the Shamwow are both miracle products. :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com