Where to buy tobacco?

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
Streamline

Where to buy tobacco?

Post by Streamline »

OK, so I've been looking all over and can't seem to find it.

My B&M stores around here don't have much of a selection, but I tried an oriental mixture from one and I rather enjoyed it. After hearing advice on the forum I'd like to try a number of new tobaccos, but everywhere I look, they're out of stock of what I'd like to try:

S&G Squadron Leader, McC Frog Morton Across the Pond, Esoterica Penzance, for example.

I've tried JR Cigar, Smokingpipes, pipetobacco.com and cup o' joes, but they're either out or a bit expensive (Master's student with little $$). So, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on where they buy their tobacco or any alternatives to those I listed. I'm working on getting a selection of different types of tobacco to train my palate. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

~Mike
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Where to buy tobacco?

Post by KurtHuhn »

I don't know about the other two (never tried 'em) but a good substitute for Penzance is C&D Byzantium which smokingpipes.com carries (and is in stock).
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
REH

Post by REH »

Smokingpipes.com is about as cheap as your going to find. They usally have a real good selection too.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

If you can't find Squadron Leader, try Dunhill My Mixture 965 - they're comparable.
Streamline

Post by Streamline »

Thanks for the info. I knew I could count on you guys.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Whatever this business is with Esoterica is getting a bit depressing..... :(
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

marscigars.com seems to have 8 oz. bags of Penzance in stock for anyone who's interested. I was happy to find it since the only other place that seems to have any stock is 4noggins; and they're seemingly auctioning all of their Stonehaven and Penzance off on eBay.....
SidRox

Post by SidRox »

http://www.4noggins.com/index.aspx is another good one to check.
Bill the Conqueror

Post by Bill the Conqueror »

FMAtP is now available here:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by- ... ct_id=8159

I believe Penzance has been discontinued, but I'm not 100% on that. Unfortunately, I do believe that Dunhill's 965 is just a memory now.

I've purchased from a number of online retailers, and in my experience, SmokingPipes.com has been by far the best. They are affordable, and they process orders in a timely manner. Plus they use a real-time inventory system that actually tells you when they're out of stock on an item you're buying. That's my $.02.