Space Alien in my Shop (Delta Drill Press Before and After)

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
pierredekat

Space Alien in my Shop (Delta Drill Press Before and After)

Post by pierredekat »

Found this cool old Delta drill press on Craigslist a few weeks ago, and I just couldn't resist.

ImageImage

It's a 14-inch model, oftentimes referred to as a DP220, after the part number that's rather prominently cast into the head.

From what I have gleaned over at Old Wood-Working Machines, based on the badge designs on the pulley cover and motor, the absence of a serial number, etc., I have narrowed it down to about a 1939-1940 model.

As much as I loved the cool patina, I decided to go through and clean things up because a few of the parts that were supposed to move and slide weren't moving and sliding like they were supposed to.

ImageImage
ImageImage

I probably wouldn't have spent the asking price of $200 on it, except that I really wanted to get my hands on a nice positioning table/vise like the one that came with this drill press.

I think I have finally had my fill of crappy made-in-China Harbor Freight tools.

I'm tired of: parts being bent, right out of the box; dovetail slides that are tight on one end and loose on the other; misaligned holes; brittle, under-designed rivet-pins; you name it.

From here on out, I'm sticking to vintage steel made by people who believed that a tool ought to last you awhile.

Of course, 70 years of use is going to take its toll. The spindle on this drill press has less slop in it than my 5-year-old made-in-China Delta drill press.

But the Acme nuts on the X/Y/360 positioning table had about .025 inch of backlash, so I went ahead and fabricated a couple new ones for it.

Theoretically I could have machined these Acme threads on my lathe, but I was hoping to actually reduce the backlash, not increase it. :)

So I opted to spend $75 on a 1/2-10 left-hand Acme tap and do it that way.

Partly I wanted the tap for the Acme nuts on this cross-slide here, but I also wanted to fabricate some replacement Acme nuts for my Atlas lathe.

As luck would have it, both my Atlas lathe and this "Mastercraft Tools" branded positioning table have nearly identical Acme nuts. I have seen very similar Atlas-made positioning tables on Ebay, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit if this one wasn't made by Atlas, as well.

But who knows, right?

So I managed to reduce the backlash on the positioning table from .025 down to .002-.004, depending on where you are on the mating Acme screw. "Close enough for government work," as they used to say, back in the day.

I had similar results fabbing up new Acme nuts for my Atlas lathe, except that I went from a rather unnerving .035 backlash down to .002-.004.

A lot of machinists will tell you that backlash is no big deal on a lathe since you're almost always pushing out the slop between the part you're cutting and the screw threads.

And that may be fine when you're cutting steel, but ebonite and plastic just don't push back hard enough, so you either have to lock down your gibs on the final pass or risk having your dimensions meander along the cut.

But backlash in a drill press slide table is more problematic, particularly when you're using a home-shaped spade bit that wants to chatter. Things being misaligned .025 might show with careful observation.

I was a little torn about what material to use for the Acme nuts. I have a hunch the originals were probably 360 free-cutting brass, which makes a fair bearing, except that it wears pretty badly.

On one hand, it seems that it would be better for the nut to take the wear, except that there's also a risk that sandpaper grit and such can embed into a softer metal easier and chew up the Acme screw along the way, anyway.

So I ended up going with 954 aluminum-bronze. Hopefully that will prove a good choice, but time will tell.

Maybe somebody else can check and see how they're holding up in another 70 years.
Last edited by pierredekat on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Space Alien in my Shop (Delta Drill Press Before and After)

Post by KurtHuhn »

Awesome work, Robert! Very inspirational as well!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Old tools are a pleasure for sure. My table saw dates from the 50s and it is still sound as a pound. Actually, it's sound and about 500 pounds.

Nice work on that press. I'm envious!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Wow...that's impressive restoration work! Really cool! :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
FredS

Post by FredS »

Look's like she's good to go another 60~70 years.

And thank you, thank you, thank you for calling the X-Y table a "positioning" table and not a "milling" table. If you're like me you kinda cringe every time someone mentions milling on a drill press. We've all done it when nobody was looking, but we certainly wouldn't admit it.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
d6monk

Post by d6monk »

Wow Robert, that is an amazing restoration job. How did you clean it up so nicely?
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Thanks, guys. :)
FredS wrote:Look's like she's good to go another 60~70 years.

And thank you, thank you, thank you for calling the X-Y table a "positioning" table and not a "milling" table. If you're like me you kinda cringe every time someone mentions milling on a drill press. We've all done it when nobody was looking, but we certainly wouldn't admit it.
Yeah, I don't really like people calling them "milling" tables, either. Of course, that hasn't stopped me from using them for such a thing. But don't tell anybody. :wink:
d6monk wrote:Wow Robert, that is an amazing restoration job. How did you clean it up so nicely?
Thanks.

Basically I: 1) broke it down to nuts, bolts, bearings, pulleys, etc.; 2) stripped off the old paint and rust with a combination of alcohol, acetone, wire brushes, and sandpaper; 3) repainted the previously painted metal with a half-and-half mixture of white and smoke-gray Rustoleum; 4) reassembled everything; and 5) waxed the unpainted steel with Johnson Paste Wax.

I would have repacked the bearings, except that these were "sealed" bearings in smooth running order. I trickled in a drop or two of 30-weight motor oil to soften the original grease, but that was about the most I could do without drilling through the seal.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Wow! Beautiful job!
d6monk

Post by d6monk »

pierredekat wrote:
Basically I: 1) broke it down to nuts, bolts, bearings, pulleys, etc.; 2) stripped off the old paint and rust with a combination of alcohol, acetone, wire brushes, and sandpaper; 3) repainted the previously painted metal with a half-and-half mixture of white and smoke-gray Rustoleum; 4) reassembled everything; and 5) waxed the unpainted steel with Johnson Paste Wax.

I would have repacked the bearings, except that these were "sealed" bearings in smooth running order. I trickled in a drop or two of 30-weight motor oil to soften the original grease, but that was about the most I could do without drilling through the seal.
Thanks Robert, some of the stuff in my shop could use a nice cleaning job like that. Again great job.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Sweeet! :drool:
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Absolutely superb job, curious how long it took? bob gilbert
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

staffwalker wrote:Absolutely superb job, curious how long it took? bob gilbert
It's funny, you start off thinking you'll spend a day or two, and before you know it, you've got four or five days in the project. :roll:

The wildest thing is, I have a sandblasting cabinet sitting right there in my shop, and I could have saved myself a considerable amount of time doing all the cleanup that way.

But I just didn't want to introduce all that paint and oil and crud inside it. And I'm pretty sure I made the right choice there.

Ah well, I can't imagine what I would have done with those four or five days and gotten as much out of it as I did, though.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Awsome!
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Wow you really took some time on that. It looks beautiful!
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
baronstrasil

Post by baronstrasil »

very good work !!!
P.S.PIPES | http://www.slazanski.com | skype: baronstrasil | email: baronslyzo@gmail.com |
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Wow! She's a beauty. Nice work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Wow! Now that is a nice restoration!!!!! I did a resto on my Southbend and now I am doing one on a old Gorton Panto Engraver, It is a labor of love is it not?
Paul
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I don't know that I could have done that restoration. Great job man. Is that vice self centering as well?