Procedure for staining to Waxing

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
giospro

Procedure for staining to Waxing

Post by giospro »

What is the Procedure for staining your pipe (the Basics) and what type of Stains/Dye works best?
Gios
Professional Golfer

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE."
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Re: Procedure for staining to Waxing

Post by SimeonTurner »

Basics:

Sand to 220

Stain

Sand to 320

Stain

Sand to 400

Stain

A pattern starts to develop...:)

One reason for staining at each grit stage is so that you can more quickly identify tiny scratches in the wood that you may otherwise miss. It also is useful if you are doing any sort of counter-staining.

You can use water based or alcohol based dyes/stains. I would steer clear of any oil based stuff. I think quite a few folks use Fiebing's leather dye as a reliable option. I actually recently found a site that offers the Fiebing's dyes at a fantastic price. http://sewwhatsupplies.com/cart/fiebing ... e-p-4.html

:)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

One reason for staining at each grit stage is so that you can more quickly identify tiny scratches in the wood that you may otherwise miss. It also is useful if you are doing any sort of counter-staining.
Scratches? What scratches? :lol:
giospro

Post by giospro »

What's the most popular colors (Dye) you use on pipes?
Gios
Professional Golfer

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE."
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

If you stock yellow, dark brown (cordovan, chocolate) and red, you'll be able to make a wide ranger of popular colors.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
tallman

Post by tallman »

Hi, folks...new member Murray Farr here...(tallman)...

I am hacking around making a few pipes (keeps me from running the streets when it's too cold to fish) and, rather than ask a question that's been answered many times, I tried to find some info on staining a rusticated pipe. Is there a thread here somewhere? I have to tell you, I rusticated a pipe, wire brushed it, and applied a light brown stain and was pretty underwhelmed with the results. What should I have done differently? thanks for any help.

Murray
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

Hello Guys,

I see again people mentioning stain sources. I have the full line of denatured alcohol based "w.d. lockwood" stains/dyes for sale. I can sell them by the ounce of powder, which makes a good amount of stain. I can sell this stuff super cheap and give out lots of free samples for everyone to try. I could also sell an assortment kit of all their colors for about half of retail. I'll be posting in the for sale section soon. Contact me if interested

-Steve
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

tallman wrote: I am hacking around making a few pipes (keeps me from running the streets when it's too cold to fish) and, rather than ask a question that's been answered many times, I tried to find some info on staining a rusticated pipe. Is there a thread here somewhere? I have to tell you, I rusticated a pipe, wire brushed it, and applied a light brown stain and was pretty underwhelmed with the results. What should I have done differently? thanks for any help.
What didn't you like about it? Is there another effect you were trying to achieve?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
tallman

Post by tallman »

Hi Kurt,

I'll post a photo when I can get one made and posted...I just wondered if that sounds like the right approach. Maybe it needs more, or wax, or something..just wasn't sure what the proper procedure is to stain a rusticated finish.
I am a NEWBIE!!!!

Thanks
Murray
tallman

Post by tallman »

Sorry for the large size... first time to use photobucket!

As I look at this pipe, I think I'm less satisfied with the COLOR than I am the result of the staining. Disclaimer....I am a newbie. This one came from a pipe kit, grain was awful...blah blah blah...

RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Try putting a coat of shellac on it.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If it's just the color you don't like, that's easy enough to change as long as you're going darker. You can sometimes go lighter.

I agree with Rad, throw a light coat of thin shellac on it and see if that helps the color pop.

Or you could hit it again with the wire wheel to lighten the high spots, then give it a coat of thin shellac.

It's all up to your imagination at this point.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com