Curious?

General pipe discussion
farrisdarren

Curious?

Post by farrisdarren »

I was curious if anyone has heard of a pipemaker named Tommy Cook? He still owns and runs a tobacco store down in Amarillo, TX, but does not make pipes anymore. Anyways, just curious if anyone has heard of him...........
Darren Farris
Bolivar, MO

“Well, it keeps my hands busy, and my mouth shut.”
-Exile
Frank

Re: Curious?

Post by Frank »

Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

A friend who had bought two of my very early pipes stopped by there a couple of years back. He showed Cook the pipes I had made. Cook said, "I used to make pipes but don't anymore but think I still have a couple left." He dug around and came up with one, a smooth billiard with a dark finish. He gave it to my friend and said, "Here take this to your friend." I still have it somewhere. It was a well constructed pipe, nicely done, but I never got around to trying it. In those days I was breaking in one of my 'mistakes' about every two or three days and didn't really need to break in another new pipe. Think I'll try to locate it tonight and give it a try. bob
farrisdarren

Post by farrisdarren »

Bob,

That sounds like Tom. I was just curious if anyone had heard of him, because he is my wife's grandfather. I have been smoking pipes for about 8 years now, and always wanted to carve my own. After meeting my wife and finding out that her grandfather owned his own successful pipe and tobacco shop, I was pretty excited.

After talking with Tom and doing a fair amount of prying and begging (Haha), he has been working with me and supplying me with tools and briar to work with. I have began to do a fair amount of work on the pipes that he had started, but not finished. I do much of the finish work on them for practice and for him to sell in his shop.

Anyways, he is a fantastic man and a wonderful pipe maker. I currently am smoking a calabash that he had buried in the back of his garage, and it is the best smoke that I have ever had! Hopefully you enjoy the one you have stumbled across!

Have a great one!
Darren Farris
Bolivar, MO

-Exile
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

Great story. Best of luck.
Regards,
Tim
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

farrisdarren wrote:because he is my wife's grandfather.
SCORE! :lol:
farrisdarren

Post by farrisdarren »

:ROFL: haha, big time score! He has been a huge help!
Darren Farris
Bolivar, MO

-Exile
farrisdarren

Post by farrisdarren »

Bob,

Just curious if you have had a chance to smoke the Cook pipe yet?
Darren Farris
Bolivar, MO

-Exile