Crafting First Pipe

General pipe discussion
dogwood

Crafting First Pipe

Post by dogwood »

I'm going to craft my first pipe. Does anyone know of any good online sources for pre-drilled briar? Is it possible to get Italian briar?

Also, what tools do I need? I'm hoping I can get by with a chisle, sandpaper, buffer and wise.

Thanks.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Crafting First Pipe

Post by KurtHuhn »

You can get pre-drilled kits from any number of places. PIMO, Pipemakers Emporium, Tim West, Mark Tinsky, etc. You can get Italian, Algerian, Spanish or Grecian (or any others) depending on who you you buy from.

I usually stock kits as well, but every time I mention I have some (or will be putting a bunch together) they get snapped up. If you're looking for something in particular, I can get you hooked up.

Your tools are largely sufficient. I would set down the chisel, however, qnd turn to a rasp. Briar is so dense and hard that you'll spend more time sharpening your chisel than you will actually using it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

thanks Kurt. i'll go out and get a rasp. you know of any online olive wood distributors?
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Hey dog,

Sorry. I needed to say that.

I have bought kits from Kurt and Kim Kendall. I'm happy with both kits and I support those who support a forum that has become something I enjoy everyday.
Kevin