Dark dark dark!!

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
dogwood

Dark dark dark!!

Post by dogwood »

Any recommendations for a lover of dark tobacco?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Dark dark dark!!

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's a very tough one. Dark tobaccos are vastly different from one another. Black Cavendish is dark brown to black, but has nothing in common (other than the fact that it's tobacco) with Black Rope. 1792, or Cob Flake, is a world away from Byzantium - despite sharing a similar dark color.

What kind of dark tobaccos do you currently like?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

i smoke a couple out of the bulk jars at my local tobaconist. one called dark honey is really good.

i haven't tried any tinned brands yet. i'll order some byzantium. i've heard good things.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Do be aware, Byzantium is RADICALLY different than whatever you were smoking out of those glass jars. It is rich, smokey, and with a flavor and aroma of campfires, autumn air, and sea breeze. By all means, try it, but just be prepared for something so exceedingly different from the typical glass-jar tobaccos that you'll question whether this is actually a tobacco. I've heard people who are dedicated aromatic smokers refer to tobaccos like Byzantium, Penzance, Balkan Flake, etc as smelling and tasting like burning camel dung.

Clearly tastes vary. So if you think you might like Byzantium, go for it. I'm a big proponent of experimentation.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com