2009-2010 Pipe In The Hat trade

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.

Theme of this year's pipe in the hat?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:11 pm

Classic Catalog Billiard
19%
Nosewarmer
33%
Plateaux
5%
Aquatic
5%
Horror
5%
Multitexture
14%
Oriental
No votes
Tolkien
19%

Total votes: 21

JosiahG

Re: 2009-2010 Pipe In The Hat trade

Post by JosiahG »

Ah well, maybe next year :)
daniel

Post by daniel »

hello,
owerall damn nice pipes!
t3,
pipe looks much better with the yellow stem,
but you should make a real curve on the "heel"(??) of the bowl, as the over all shape is very traditional.

vermont freehand,
you should get rid of atleast half of the ebonite near the button,
if we forget that, the pipe looks really good and well executed,

ill try to post the pics of my entry tonight,
i made an thick shanked 6paneled dublin. or a freehand, i´m really not sure.

daniel
daniel

Post by daniel »

here we go,
the pipe is aproximately nine cm long,
the stem was a bit of a challenge to me, as i decided to make it as short as possible,
well atleast its comfortable in mouth.
i tried a new way to drill the chamber, ive been thinking about this for a while but haven´t had a pipe that it would fit with.
dont know how it smokes from the larger area of the bowl, but if my calculations are right,
it should be no problem. this is a perfect opportunity to give it as test.

i hope that the one who gets this is satisfied.

daniel
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

I reworked the stem and it's quite thin now, so can't go any thinner. The button is not the best, but here it is, too bad the shadow makes the corrections hard to see.

and a shot of the birdseye on the bottom;

Nick

Post by Nick »

OK, I tried to wait, as I love surprises But damnit, I am also not good at being patient So here's my little guy

The pipe was drilled all freehand. It came out really well, i think There's a slight gap in the bamboo/shank joint, which i am not happy about. And the drafthole is about 5 mm off center. And I am just not 100% satisfied with the stem. Still, he's a friendly fella with lots of spunk. I'm almost sad to see him go. I'd be more than happy to chat more about the pipe to whom ever end up with him. And anyone else really.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Vermont Freehand wrote:I reworked the stem and it's quite thin now, so can't go any thinner. The button is not the best, but here it is, too bad the shadow makes the corrections hard to see.
That is a *significant* improvement, Steve. Reworking the stem really made that pipe "pop". Nice work!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
daniel

Post by daniel »

KurtHuhn wrote:
Vermont Freehand wrote:I reworked the stem and it's quite thin now, so can't go any thinner. The button is not the best, but here it is, too bad the shadow makes the corrections hard to see.
That is a *significant* improvement, Steve. Reworking the stem really made that pipe "pop". Nice work!
yep!
Nick

Post by Nick »

HHMPH! No body wants to comment on my little pipe!

The poor little guy feels left out. Its OK Phil, (I've named him Phil) I still love you!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Nick, I like the shape, but the line of bamboo and shank are a bit odd looking. Not sure the shank ring color really looks good on that pipe, but everyone's taste is different.

Now, off to work on my addition.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

I like Phil, shape and the little color ring. Just not a fan of bamboo.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I would be proud to smoke Phil. Do you always have candy hearts out?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks guys. Phil feels better now. My wife being the wonderful woman she is, has separate coordinated decorations for each holiday season on the calendar. As we are approaching Valentines day, it candy hearts, roses and lots of other such stuff.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

I keep roses and candy hearts in my shop at all times. I figured that if I surrounded myself with romantic type stuff would make me more like Love Geiger....but then I realized that Love's name isn't pronounced "Love" at all...so now I just have a bunch of roses and hearts in my shop cause they are so pretty.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

SimeonTurner wrote:I keep roses and candy hearts in my shop at all times. I figured that if I surrounded myself with romantic type stuff would make me more like Love Geiger....but then I realized that Love's name isn't pronounced "Love" at all...so now I just have a bunch of roses and hearts in my shop cause they are so pretty.
LOL!

How is Love's name pronouced then?
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Nick wrote:How is Love's name pronouced then?
Steve.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

Attached are some photos of my PITH submission. It's not perfect and I keep seeing areas where I still need improvement (its only my second hand cut stem), but that's all part of the process, I suppose. I do have one question. There is a ring around the bottom part of the stummel where the grain is darker than on the rest of the pipe. You can see it pretty clearly in the second photo. This is the first time that I have come across this, and I used the same process on this pipe that I have on all the others that I've made. Is this just the grain? Should I rusticate or just go with it? I can rusticate and refinish before the deadline, but I'm not sure if I should...it has pretty decent grain.

Let me know what you think, and feel free to offer any critiques.

Thanks,
Micah

p.s. That's my wife's hand in the first picture...don't want you guys thinking I'm delicate. :)

TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Very cool Micah! I like that shape a lot. Looks like you've got a small gap between the stem and shank which is something that's been plaguing me as well. I've gotten it pretty small, but it's still always there....grrr.....
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

I've had a few plateau do the same thing, not that far into the wood however. I don't mind it in your pipe, the way it is at nearly the same height up the stummel as the shank it kind of flows with the pipe. I would say leave it.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Beatus, there is a gap and I know what I did wrong to cause it. I faced the shank end using a forstner bit, but I didn't use a big enough bit...so when I tried to take off the extra bits around the faced area with the sander it make the shank face uneven. I think I could probably fix it but I'm afraid that I might just mess things up worse, and this close to the deadline, I don't want to have to try to make another pipe. I'm sill learning and these types of projects are really helpful. Hopefully whoever gets it will derive some pleasure from it, despite its myriad imperfections.

- Micah
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That one is easy, Micah. Use a piece of 400-grit sandpaper laid flat on a flat, hard surface, and gently drag the shank end across it until everything is square. It may take a while, but it's good practice for the future.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com