how do I maintain a sharp line?????

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
pipeguy

how do I maintain a sharp line?????

Post by pipeguy »

I'm trying to make a pipe with a continuous line from the shank and eventually fadeing into the bowl such as seen on some tear drop shanks that continue to the bowl any thoughts would be helpful thanx Bob Clark
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Sasquatch

Re: how do I maintain a sharp line?????

Post by Sasquatch »

After rough shaping on whatever sanding disc or belt or whatever you use, a rasp or fairly aggressive file will allow you to control curves, and get all the lumps out. You can move the tool in a curve as you use it, or hold it at about 45 degrees to the direction of travel (once things are smoothed down a bit). I use a flat file on the outside, and a round or half round file for the inside of the curve.

If by "line" you are meaning a "ridge" then the same tools apply. You can dremel out the rough shape, but eventually you need a flat tool to smooth things out.

You can also make sanding blocks of whatever shape you need by using dowels of various thickness, or cut pieces of wood on certain angles, or whatever, to do the finishing.

The theme is that you need a tool that is basically the shape you are working, but is long and stiff enough not to follow every little bump.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!