wood lathes with toolpost for sqaure cutters

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
loosvelt

wood lathes with toolpost for sqaure cutters

Post by loosvelt »

Guys I am looking to get a wood lathe, but this Nova accessory really caught my eye. http://www.teknatool.com/products/Speci ... mental.htm

I can't afford a Nova or the Jet 1642, any other lathes available have something like this? Seems to bridge the gap between a wood lathe and metal lathe, at least when it comes to pipemaking use.

-Nate
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
Sasquatch

Re: wood lathes with toolpost for sqaure cutters

Post by Sasquatch »

It takes me approximately 10 minutes to cut and fit a tenon by hand. I can't imagine having a use for that thing.

It looks like it can do some cool stuff, but I don't see it as being the centre of a pipe making rig.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

At $500 for the main part, then another $150 for the tool post accessory, I don't see this as a money saver if you want it for turning tenons. A mini metal lathe costs less.

This does bring up a question (in my mind) that I've been wanting to ask. Is a wood lathe needed to turn stummels, or can it be done on a metal lathe such as This?
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Sasquatch wrote:It takes me approximately 10 minutes to cut and fit a tenon by hand.
This is why I hate you. Not really, that's mostly the Scotch Ale talking. I'm going to go practice. Maybe I should wait.... :P
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

T3pipes wrote:At $500 for the main part, then another $150 for the tool post accessory, I don't see this as a money saver if you want it for turning tenons. A mini metal lathe costs less.

This does bring up a question (in my mind) that I've been wanting to ask. Is a wood lathe needed to turn stummels, or can it be done on a metal lathe such as This?
You can turn stummels on a metal lathe.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You do almost anything on a metal lathe that you can on a wood lathe. Just be sure the swing over the bed and carriage is tall enough for the shank length you want to make. What a wood lathe offers, typically, is higher spindle speed and less in the way when it comes to freeform shaping of bowls, platters, spindles, etc.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Metal lathes are better. :P

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

:lol:

Yes. Yes they are. For a great number of things. Especially things involving metal. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

Well I'm torn because I am not a woodturner. So I know if I got a metal lathe, I could etch-o-sketch some cool stummels into different round shapes pretty easily, as well as have all the other benefits of a metal lathe (tenons down the line) Where as with a wood I have to really learn how to turn. I guess I really just need to be patient and pratice.

Is it that hard to learn to turn stummels on a wood lathe?
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

tradhunter wrote:Well I'm torn because I am not a woodturner. So I know if I got a metal lathe, I could etch-o-sketch some cool stummels into different round shapes pretty easily, as well as have all the other benefits of a metal lathe (tenons down the line) Where as with a wood I have to really learn how to turn. I guess I really just need to be patient and pratice.

Is it that hard to learn to turn stummels on a wood lathe?
I don't etch-a-sketch when turning wood on the metal lathe. I use one of the cutting tools in the tool post as a tool rest and shape it just like on a wood lathe.

This is one of the big advantages of a metal lathe over a wood lathe in pipe making. You can turn stummels just like on a wood lathe, and you also have the precision needed to cut tenons on stems or on shanks for decorative rings and extensions.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:It takes me approximately 10 minutes to cut and fit a tenon by hand.
This is why I hate you. Not really, that's mostly the Scotch Ale talking. I'm going to go practice. Maybe I should wait.... :P

More Ale, Beatus.

It doesn't take long though - I have a setup that I can literally pop the stem in and out of the lathe in about 5 seconds, so test fits are no trouble. I cut a slight bevel at the tenon tip, and then try to fit it. This leaves a smooth line on the tenon that I can cut to, and I leave it so that it is slightly larger toward the button end. Then you just cut a bit and fit it and cut a bit and fit it.

A metal lathe would do a better job, probably, and without some of the fuss. But we does with what's we gots.

Flippin acrylic still pisses me off, but I've only done a couple.
Tano

Post by Tano »

Sasquatch,
If you are working on something that requires a metal lathe, I'll let you use mine. I presume you live in Calgary.
All the best,
Tano
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Tano wrote: I presume you live in Calgary.
I presume he lives in Sasquatch-ewan....
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Tano, thanks for the offer.

I honestly don't know if a metal lathe would solve my acrylic problems or if I'm just being stupid about how I apply tools to acrylic. In the woodworking world, speed is life on a lathe, and in the acrylic cutting world, that is not the case at all. Speed equals melted slime and lumps and a broken workpiece. :D

I suspect if I sharpen my tools and slow my lathe down, some or most of my issues will disappear. Like I say, I've only done a couple of acrylic stems - one from rod and one from a stem blank, so I'll keep playing with it, and if I can't get something to work I will take you up on your offer.

At any rate I wanna see yer shop at some point and talk a little. :) I'm not right in Calgary, but I'm close enough that for something as important as pipes, I will hitch up the mule and wander in.
Tano

Post by Tano »

Sounds Good
All the best,
Tano