Briar Supplier Reviews

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
jeff

Post by jeff »

In any case, John, $8 per block is a pretty good price. It is certainly in line with ebauchon prices here in the states. And judging by the size and quality of the ebauchons that I received from briargrains you will certainly be doing less rustication than if you bought Grecian briar. I think that in the end you will be pleased.

Jeff
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

Yes, if the quality is as expected and the curing good, then I'll be fine with the price, but will still check the shipping rate regardless. I ordered the large cirta plateaux. I wanted to test his quality with the cirta. If I'm pleased, then I may invest in the Tassali. If the Cirta pictures on his site are representative of the average in terms of grain, then his Cirta is similar to most of the extra/extra plateaux I have gone through from Juam. On balance then, the $8 per block including shipping is less expensive than the small extra/extra plateuax from juam which worked out to around $10 including shipping on 75 blocks. The added bonus I am hoping for is less sandpits and fisures, and larger size.

All this math-mindeness eh? Time to get back to the shop now and shape some briar. Must ship a pipe off first and update the site.

Enjoy your day,
John
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

John,

I was a looking through this thread and the suspense was building like a souffle. When I got to the end you just left we hanging!!! (I get nearly four weeks, paid vacation at Christmas so I get a bit bored. Please forgive me my melodrama!! :cry: )

I noticed from another thread, which I started, pertaining to BriarGrains that the wood has arrived and you have started to work it but what was the end result with the shipping charges? Did you end up paying $US 2 per block? How long did it take?

Thanks
carthagena

Post by carthagena »

Is Briar Grain and Mr Paul's Pipeland the same ?
I would like to buy some pre-drilled ebauchons to them, 'cause I don't have the material to turn the stem and to drill the stummel.

Thank you in advance !
David.
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

Hi Brendhain,

Sorry for leaving you hanging. I get mixed up with these threads and forget which one I was on.

Yes, I did end up paying $2 US for shipping per block. It arrived very fast after Yazid finally used UPS. A few weeks went by before that where I had heard nothing. Finally he responded to my emails and siad that the shipment by mail was not going to go through because of some problems at the local enad, so he re-shipped by UPS.

I was okay in the end with the shipping charge, but then a couple weeks after I got my order, I noticed he lowered the price on the exact goods I ordered, by $2 per block. That didn't feel too good, but there was really nothing I could do about that. I bought a couple weeks too early I guess.

The briar is good. The only problems I have with it so far, are some soft spots that take the stain too readily, that are not grain patterns. This is easthetic only, and I can usually work around that. The other thing I have noticed on a three blocks so far, is that when I am testing the tenon fit while turning a new tenon, the briar in the mortise compresses if the tenon is still too tight. It compresses quite a biut to form a ridge at the end of where I inserted it. That then causes problems with final tenon fit, as the next time I try the tenon in the mortise, the fit is not so tight, and it ends up hitting that ridge. Again, I found ways to work around it, but it concerns me. I am hoping that the three blocks that happenned on will be the last.

Cheers,
John
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

The other thing I have noticed on a three blocks so far, is that when I am testing the tenon fit while turning a new tenon, the briar in the mortise compresses if the tenon is still too tight. It compresses quite a biut to form a ridge at the end of where I inserted it.
Hi John,

That happens to me occasionally too, and I've started putting a bevel on the end of the tenon with a file while it's spinning in the lathe. This eliminates the sharp edge on the end of the tenon, and no more ridges form when I'm test fitting.

Rad
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

RadDavis wrote:
That happens to me occasionally too, and I've started putting a bevel on the end of the tenon with a file while it's spinning in the lathe. This eliminates the sharp edge on the end of the tenon, and no more ridges form when I'm test fitting.

Rad
Thanks Rad,

I always do a bevel on the tenon, but after the fianl fit. I'll try putting a bevel on before test fitting. I can always redo the bevel after final fit and tenon length is established. That helps.

Cheers,
John
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Here's my amateur $.02 review:

I ordered one of those "sets" that are up on JH's website. I got six blocks from him. The first thing that I'm finding out is that the the price was apparently pretty high when compared to others. After shipping I paid $28 per block. I'm uncertain if is was just because of the small order or what... Anyway, here's what I find on the quality.

On opening in the box: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. All blocks are there.

Wow, this one block is WAY smaller than what he said it would be. I never did complain for reasons to be explained later. This one small block really couldn't be used for ANYTHING but an extension...

Checking out the grain... One side on every block is incredible. The other is not so hot. Checking the front of the block I see that it is because all of the blocks are cut crooked (off their axis as jeff said). Every single one. I've had 2 so far where the grain straightened on it's way up and so the crooked cutting did not effect the outcome but it's because I pulled the pipe from the TOP of the block where the grain straightened.

Working the wood. I've not noticed anything wrong or different while working with the wood. Seems pretty standard.

My biggest complaint comes at finishing time. Every block I've worked down to finishing (fine sanding) except one has been RIDDLED with sandpits. One has 18 small sandpits!! Most are probably only visible because I scan it the way I do as the maker... but they are there. To accompany the pits are several cracks (not every pipe tho) that have caused me to morph my shape of a few pipes.

Anyhow... That's my experience with JH.

This post should be read in light of the fact that I ordered a "set" from his website. I did not order bulk. I'm not saying whether or not this is good business practice or not but I could have gotten the shaft because of a small order.

There you go!
bluesmk

briar supliers

Post by bluesmk »

Thanks Ben,
Thats forwarned enough for me!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
hiway

Post by hiway »

My experience is the same as Ben's. I ordered 50 blocks and out of 24 so far I have two pipes that were finished smooth. Those two did not have grain to brag about but they were free from pits or cracks. I consider the rest of the JH blocks to be for rusticated pipes only. The pits and cracks are small and easily removed with rustication but too much of an eyesore for smooth pipes.

Dave
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

Yup, that's Juam's briar--lots of cracks and pits. If you like to rusticate, his prices on bulk are good, and the briar has great smoking qualities. His extra/extra grade plateaux is very good grain, at least in my experience with 75 blocks. It's the pits and cracks that create major problems.

John