Is THIS Pipe Ugly?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
e Markle

Is THIS Pipe Ugly?

Post by e Markle »

Gentlemen, I give you: my first pipe. Please let me know what you think, and don't pull any punches. I can take it.

A few observations/questions:
1. I'm not sure I like how far the saddle extends from the crown; do I need to bring it back?
2. I like the shank/bowl definition (on the sides), but I wish I'd rounded the back side out a bit more to bring more symmetry. Not sure if you can tell in the pics.
3. Would you consider this a Nosewarmer? It's an eighth over 4", and it's 1 5/8" tall. It seems short enough, but maybe not chubby enough? Just curious.

Oh, one more thing. The backdrop is *stunning*, please try to keep that from distracting you from the task at hand. :)

Fire away boys!

Last edited by e Markle on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
e Markle

Re: Is THIS Pipe Ugly?

Post by e Markle »

Sorry, the pics are huge... I hate that.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Wow that looks good! It took a minute to process how big it isn't.

Finish looks really smooth, stem looks good. Beats the shit outta my first.

I think there is an argument to be made that the simple, "flat" lines of the pipe are in contrast to the "chess piece" stem style which is more articulated. I think a plainer stem might have been better here - check out Kurt's nosewarmers on his site for some good ideas in this regard.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

1st pipe you say? Wow...impressive start!

I like the finish; you have a nice stain and a great glossy finish. The stem looks nice and compliments the stain color nicely.

I feel like there is a slight cant to the bowl that is a bit jarring. Is it a trick of the light, or is that the case?

I agree with sasquatch that a simpler stem might be more appropriate for the simple design overall, but I think you get away with it well enough.

I'd call it a nosewarmer. In fact, i'd call it a nosewarmer that you should throw in the Pipe in the Hat event!

Nice work.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Nice work!

The bowl and shank are very nicely shaped. The stem is just wrong for the pipe. :)

The end of the shank appears to drop down a bit from the top at the end. That needs to be kept really straight.

It would look fine with a flush fit saddle stem.

Again, the shaping is fantastic for a first pipe.

Rad
Tano

Post by Tano »

Take the pipe and the tobacco tin out of the picture and call it art. Put the pipe back and you have a craft.
Is it the best pipe craft? No, but I find it pleasing to look at and will say that it demonstrate a sensitivity from you towards the objective. JMO.
All the best,
Tano
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Wow - Thanks so much for the feedback. I never would have thought the stem didn't pair well with the stummel - really appreciate it. Good to have more eyes going over it. Guess I should just avoid the fancy stuff for now. :)
SimeonTurner wrote:I feel like there is a slight cant to the bowl that is a bit jarring. Is it a trick of the light, or is that the case?
Yeah, you're right. There's a definite cant to the bowl. Is it too much? Do you mean I should have made the bowl perpendicular to the shank?
RadDavis wrote: The end of the shank appears to drop down a bit from the top at the end. That needs to be kept really straight.
Rad
Hey Rad, I tried to round the edges of the shank - is that the problem? or are you saying there's a low spot just before the stem? ...or are you looking at the high point on the bottom of the shank??? Thanks!

More comments/criticisms welcome!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I think the cant is bang on.

The shank is rounded over at the end, and that's fine - you don't want it sharp. But the line along the top of the shank looks to dip down about 1/4" from the end. I think that's what Rad is pointing out.

One famous carver who uses really clean lines and often relatively thick proportions, it Baldo Baldi. If you search for his pipes (there's a typical example on ebay right now) you'll see how the whole pipe exhibits the same overall feel, and this is what your fancy stem is kind of busting up.

No one is saying "don't do fancy" = get as fancy as you want, but then you need to build a pipe on fancy lines, one that is enhanced by the extra detail rather than jarred by it, if that makes sense?

Look at Viprati pipes as an opposite to Baldo Baldi. Luigi Viprati makes all kinds of ornamental additions and all kinds of crazy shapes. His Ciao Lira pipes are wicked for that.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Damn! That's a great first pipe!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Great looking pipe. I agree with Rad about the stem, but you could possibly mitigate this by countersinking it. It may be tricky to do though, depending on the equipment you have.

TJ
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nick wrote:Damn! That's a great first pipe!
Thanks! I actually shaped 7 or 8 stummels that I wasn't happy with. This is the first I've finished out. Also, that's the 5th stem I made for that pipe. WAY too much time invested in that scrawny pipe. :)
ToddJohnson wrote: I agree with Rad about the stem, but you could possibly mitigate this by countersinking it. It may be tricky to do though, depending on the equipment you have.
I countersank it by about 1/16", but I see what you mean, more would make an improvement. My equipment selection is a bit sparse; not sure I could pull that off with what I have. I may just need to redo the entire stem.

Any other criticisms are welcome. Thanks.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice work! I agree that the stem doesn't match. I like Todd's idea but would take it a step further. Turn the bead into a ring that fits flush with the shank and you have a winner.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
daniel

Post by daniel »

agree for example with wdteipen.
tahts how it should look. and it would mosdef look better that way.
anyway, i´m happy that you have tried something different and yet done it well,
the pipe looks really nice and i happen to like oddities for some reason,
i suggest you to drill (or use dremel) a line of small round holes where the stem starts to narrow towards the shank,
that would give a purpose to the shape. another thing i might try would be a line, like bulldoggs have at the same place.
as a advice,
do always what you like.
if id to purchase this pipe, id like it to have the stem just like it is now.

i tend to watch/see things, pipes including, as pieces of art (as the most of us carvers),
if im painting, i paint what comes to mind, and let the already formed "lines" to give me the advices of how to continue,
if i start to correct/re do the lines the painting might get better, but it will loose its, omm.. is the word authentic?
well it will loose the meaning somehow, thats one reason my pipes look like they do.
things tend to be as they are supposed to,
like it or not.

its a point of wiev.

i think i should get sleep now.

daniel.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Cool Pipe. I like.

M.M.
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Very nice pipe, you defiantly put my first to shame.
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
Charl

Post by Charl »

Congrats! Nothing like my first (or 50 after :oops: )The pipe has a very good finish. I agree with the stem being too elaborate for the pipe and that you should maybe loose the ring (or do a saddle)
ckr

Post by ckr »

First, come on ... wasn't born yesterday you know. :)

Kiddin' very nice piece. I do think the stem makes the whole thing a bit busy but I think I have fallen into that trap myself. Still do, but hopefully the instances are declining.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

wow, amazing for a first atempt, stunning.

I agree the stem could be altered somehow, but goddamn, nice finish

I would almost round off the end of the stummel where it meets the stem so it looks more fitting for a freehand(ish) stem

definatelt a nosewarmer, but if it was chubby, it would be a chubby nosewarmer

not too often do I see a first pipe with a handmade stem, nice thorough effort
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I think a ring (exotic wood, lucite, etc) around the end of the shank (1/4" - 3/8" long) would have made the stem a better mate for the design. But I must say - helluva job on that one indeed!