Stem Insert/ Banding Question

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Stem Insert/ Banding Question

Post by NathanA »

In shaping on my first pipe i overworked the shank a little bit and now the stem (for my first attempt I used a pre-drilled kit with attached stem) is slightly larger than the shank. Not by more than a hair but enough that I notice. What options do I have? Are there ways of adding a band or insert for someone who does not have the tools or supplies? Any suggestions as to what I could do? My first thought was to look for something at a craft store for pieces for jewelry makers. Anybody try anything like that? I know I sound like a newbie, but I guess that's exactly what I am.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Re: Stem Insert/ Banding Question

Post by SimeonTurner »

It sounds like you were shaping the shank without the stem in it? You should always sand the shank with the stem attached so they maintain a nice even surface.

If your shank is a bit smaller in diameter than the stem, I bet you could even it out still if you work on it with the stem attached. If you have a pic of the pipe it might help us give better advice.

Hope that helps!
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

To avoid that type of situation, shape the pipe with the stem attached. That will ensure the shank and the stem are the same size.

To fix the problem now, I would suggest attaching the stem and carefully sanding it down. And since it's your pipe, don't be afraid of having to restain the little bit of shank near the stem if you get a little close.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

OK. Rookie mistake. I didn't know I was to keep the stem attached. I thought it would ruin the stem if I sanded it. How do I get the sanding marks off the stem material? Do I buff and polish it with the brown tripoli and white diamond just like the stummel? Thanks again for all the advice. I am so glad I found a place to get help with all my questions.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Sand the stem material with 400-600 ( I find 400 is fine). Then buff white, then carnuba. Leave out the brown trip on the stem.
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

Awesome. Thank you so much. I am off to the garage to fix my mistake.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
FredS

Post by FredS »

It may go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. Leave the stem in place during buffing too.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

ALso, don't try to even the stem and shank with 400-600 grit. It will take forever.

Use 180-220 grit to get them evened up and then go up in grit to 320 and then 400-600 to finish.

Rad