Almost my first pipe

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
jenmom2myboys

Almost my first pipe

Post by jenmom2myboys »

Hi, I'm new here. My name is Jen. I was working on my first pipe, and in an attempt to rid it of a huge cavernous flaw wore it paper thin. Lesson learned. I had a lot of fun though and learned which dremmel bits I like better and a few things not to do so I guess it was worth the time. here are some photos of almost my first pipe.

In the very last pic in the bottom corner of the pipe are 2 brown dots, that is where it wore through the wood and is paper thin. Thanks for looking. I'm on to my next pipe. I would enjoy any comments or criticism of my almost first pipe, Thanks again!

Jen
Sasquatch

Re: Almost my first pipe

Post by Sasquatch »

I like the basic shape... looks to me like the grain is running parallel to the top of the pipe - If so you might get a nice result if use a piece of briar that is naturally shaped more similarly to the pipe - a plateax piece with a fairly tight outside radius.

It looks like the stem was overcarved near the bowl - it's thin right in the "elbow", but perhaps you were more worried about the flaws you were dealing with than getting the shape just so everywhere else.

Better luck with your briar next time.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Welcome to the forum!

One piece of advice I would offer is that it's a good idea to shape the pipe with the stem attached. That way you maintain a uniform junction between shank and stem. If you wait to fit the stem till later, you will end up with funky little depressions at the junction.

Neat shaping work! Good luck!
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
jenmom2myboys

Post by jenmom2myboys »

I actually hadn't finished the stem yet. I got stuck on trying to repair where the flaw was so I was leaving the stem for last since that seemed a really difficult area. Thanks for the tips though.
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Don't worry about flaws in the wood, unless you can tell that they go all the way into the bowl or airway. It's a crap-shoot on the flaw being large or small. if the pipe is just for you, A dark stain, some gentle sanding to blend it in, or anyone of several methods can be used hide or disguise a small flaw.

Also, go ahead and finish this pipe. If you can spare the stem, finish that as well. It's good practice. Plus, removing those scratches the dremel left is going to take off more wood than you expect, and may alter the shape more than you expected.

I like the way the shape was headed, but doubt it is one I would smoke in public :D .
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It takes a manly man to smoke a flower pipe, T3!
jenmom2myboys

Post by jenmom2myboys »

Now I have an image in my head of a Sasquatch sitting on a tree stump in the forrest smoking my flower pipe.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Providing a possible use for Ennerdale Flake at the same time! Then the flower pipe could smell like Grandma's perfume. :thumbsup:
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

jenmom2myboys wrote:Now I have an image in my head of a Sasquatch sitting on a tree stump in the forrest smoking my flower pipe.
I almost did, but luckily my brain shut down first.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm surprised Cornell and Diehl don't have it on a label, to be honest. I'm sure "Perfumed Sasquatch" would be a big seller.
jenmom2myboys

Post by jenmom2myboys »

Eu de Sasquatch!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I would be very surprised if anyone manages to stay with this thread beyond this point.
ckr

Post by ckr »

I agree, once I enabled your posts continuity and time was suspended and chaos reigned. Regarding the pipe; Aside from the spot that ended up paper thin it looks to me that the entire bottom of the pipe is thin. The bottom being about the same width as the shank. That bud needs to be a little buddier, there should about a quarter inch of wall around the chamber, especially the bottom.
jenmom2myboys

Post by jenmom2myboys »

You're right, the bottom is thin. I was trying to take some of the bulk out of it, to make the flower shape more fluid and less blocky. I need to watch out for that. I appreciate all th comments and help.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

If you go to the cupojoes home page, there is a flower shaped pipe pictured by the savinelli label about half way down the page.
ckr

Post by ckr »

Thanks for the link. :lol:

Good idea though.
John Rocheleau, no longer carving, did many beautiful sculpted pipes. A good melding of functionality and artistic style and several floral shapes.

http://members.shaw.ca/johnroch/archive.htm
click on any and a page will open with all different views.

PS. Be sure to check out SC 149, it's now mine.
Last edited by ckr on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I gotta do everything for everyone?

http://www.cupojoes.com/
ckr

Post by ckr »

lol, just us handicapped.
jenmom2myboys

Post by jenmom2myboys »

Thanks for the link. I love SC 125 and 111. I would love to make a Tulip pipe. I love how tthe petals are shaped, beautiful work!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

One piece of advice I would offer is to not concern yourself with flaws for the first few pipes you make Go ahead and finish the pipe into the shape you envisioned, and forget the flaws. Just try to make the pipe, the rest is extra.

And just for the future, those tiny little things would have been hidden with stain more than likely - at least if I'm seeing what you're pointing out. Stain can hide a multitude of sins. And what stain won't hide, sandblasting or rustication will. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com