Inlays, extensions and staining?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
achduliebe

Inlays, extensions and staining?

Post by achduliebe »

I am working on a pipe that is going to have an ivory inlay and an olive wood extension but have come up with a dilemma. So I throw this out to the more knowledgeable pipe makers.

1. In what order do you do your stain and epoxy work on a pipe with an inlay and/or extension?

2. Do you epoxy everything together finish your sanding and then stain?

3. Or do you do final sanding, stain and then epoxy everything?

I am really curious because, I figure I need to stain before I attach the ivory inlay or else it will get stain on it. I really see pros and cons for doing it both ways. Being this is only my second pipe and my first inlay and extension, I am in need of guidance.

What procedure do you guys use?
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I epoxy everything together, then shape the pipe. I'm just careful about stain application so that it doesn't run all over everything.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I, like Kurt, stain last wether I have an inlay, extension, or just a plain pipe. I glue the inlay and/or shank extension on very early in the process, shape with those parts already glued on, and stain at the same point in the process as I would if I wasn't doing the extension or inlay. You do want to be careful not to get stain on the inlay or extension though!

Tyler
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Tyler and Kurt, thanks a bunch for your responses! That is what I will do. Now that I think about it, I guess it makes sense to have everything epoxied together before you do the shaping...that way you have good clean lines.

Thanks again for giving me some guidance, you guys are great!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

achduliebe,

I do as the other's suggest and also mask off the areas I don't want stained for added protection.