Bamboo shank

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
pennsyscot

Bamboo shank

Post by pennsyscot »

Is there an easy way to prevent epoxy from entering the draught hole when glueing stainless tubing for bamboo shank?
DMI

Re: Bamboo shank

Post by DMI »

It depends on which draft hole you mean.

I use SS tube to reinforce repairs and long thin shanks and I plug the ends with wax, simply warm and it comes out.

When it comes to permanent extentions I fit the tube in the stummel first, add glue, then add the bamboo, tape the whole thing together and leave for a couple of days.

I'm playing with removeable extensions at the moment.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

DMI wrote:I fit the tube in the stummel first, add glue, then add the bamboo, tape the whole thing together and leave for a couple of days.
So, there is no glue applied to the tube inserted into the stummel?
What about the stem? Glue will be pushed ahead of the tube. I suppose I could wipe it out with a cleaner. I was hopeing for a cleaner easier solution. thanks, Scot
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Don't put epoxy in the mortis you created for the stainless steel tube. Only epoxy the faces of the wood and bamboo, not the tube to the bamboo or tube to wood. Thin of the tube as being reinforcement for the bond, not part of the bond itself. I promise the joint will be sufficiently strong.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Kurt, What about ss tube too stem?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tube to stem is easy. When you epoxy them together, ream with the same tapered drill bit you used to drill the stem airway.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Now I'm all mixed up. I used a 5/32" tapered drill to ream the airway. I'm planing to used 5/32" OD tubing for the tenon. After the tube is epoxied in place I will not be able to use the drill. This will be my first boo shank. Am I on the right track?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yes, but you will need another drill to ream the airway. McMaster-Carr has what you need. Just get one to match the inner diameter of the tube.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Thanks Kurt. I guess I will just grind a taper in one of my own drills.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That works too! :thumbsup:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Just put epoxy on the tenon and the squeeze out will go away from the mortise. You can do it in two steps if you need to: stainless tenon into the stummel. Let dry and peel off the squeeze out. Then apply epoxy to the stainless again and slide the bamboo on. Also, use CA, not epoxy to glue the stainless tenon into the stem. Also, you should cut threads into the tenon by turning it counter clockwise on the lathe and pulling a sharp file (or whatever) toward you at an even speed. Then you can actually "thread" the tenon into the stummel and into the stem.

TJ
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Thanks Todd, That makes perfect sense.
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

ToddJohnson wrote:Also, use CA, not epoxy to glue the stainless tenon into the stem
I just did this last night using T-88 epoxy, and have made three or four stems for bamboo pipes that way previously. Is the CA recommendation because of a better bond? requires less glue? Thanks, as always.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

TimGeorge wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:Also, use CA, not epoxy to glue the stainless tenon into the stem
I just did this last night using T-88 epoxy, and have made three or four stems for bamboo pipes that way previously. Is the CA recommendation because of a better bond? requires less glue? Thanks, as always.
Yeah it's a better bond because of its thinner viscosity. You have to thread it on quickly or the glue will set up with the tenon only half seated. The good thing is that there is almost no bond that heat can't break, so if this happens, just pass it back and forth through the flame of an alcohol burner and grab the tenon with a pair of pliers (or use your lathe chuck) and twist it back out. Let it cool and try again.

TJ
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

YMMV, but I have a sensitivity to CA glue so I don't use it. It's not like I go into anaphylactic shock or anything, but it irritates my nasal passages something fierce. I've heard of some folks that actually have violent reactions to the stuff.

Other than that, I agree - it makes for a very good bond because it can flow into all the small spaces and fill them. And once cured it shrinks down to almost nothing.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

I think I read once that Love actually takes a bolt, drills it hollw and cuts off the head and then screws the stummel and bamboo together, using some glue too. Nice deal if youcan swing it.
DMI

Post by DMI »

If you have problems with the smell or speed of setting of ca glues you might want to have a look at this site:

http://www.starloc.eu/

They do several different types of ca including low odour and slow set, both of which I use. Communication is not thier strong point.

I saw a pic of Loves bolt method recently but can't recall which thread it was in, I spend a lot of time reading before asking questions.