Second pipe, first attempt at rustication.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
mathias65

Second pipe, first attempt at rustication.

Post by mathias65 »

Here is my second attempt at making my own pipes. This is also my first attempt at rustication. Again, I apologize for photo quality. This is a brand new, low end, digital camera. I've had it for about 10 minutes and have never used one before so am just now learning how to use it.

stummel bum

Re: Second pipe, first attempt at rustication.

Post by stummel bum »

I really like that rustication. Good overall form to the pipe as well. A common mistake with rusticating is losing some of the definition in the pipe's shape especially around the shank, but you did pretty well maintaining that.

One thing I did notice is that it appears that the stem is on a slightly different angle than the shank and there is a bit of a gap right at the junction where they meet (could just be a photo illusion). One thing that helps with this is leaving a band of smooth wood around the stem/shank junction to prevent the rustication from creating any gaps. It can also help to ensure that the shank lines up with the direction of the stem.

To help with the photos, do you have a tripod? If not I would pick one up. Doesn't need to be anything elaborate, just something to hold your camera steady. Indoor lighting situations equal long exposures which means that any movement will bring the image out of focus. It's also possible that you were just too close to the pipe for it to focus in on it. Try setting the tripod at least 2 ft away from the pipe before snapping the pic. Then you can just crop out the unnecessary background when you upload them to your computer, or use the camera's zoom to get a closer view of the pipe (if you don't have photo editing capabilities). If you've never used a digi camera before this way is probably easier than trying to figure out the macro feature on the camera :D

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Rob
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

That pipe has all the lines it needs but the band of smooth would do good on the bridge part of the stem /shank ,it would give it some sharpness .A little more shape on the inner curve to the head of the pipe would enhance the line of the shank.
I like the rustication it has a cork-like look to it .
All in all very nice second pipe.

Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

thanks for the comments so far.

stummel bum, you have a good eye. sadly there is a small gap at the top where the stem meets. and i don't have a tripod, but will look into getting one. i was probably also shooting too close too. i'll play with it and if i can come up with some better shots maybe i'll post them instead.

and the smooth band where the stem meets, yeah, i know just what you both mean. and it actually started off that way. and i was pretty happy about the shape, and the rustication. had a nice smooth band and top, and place to put my stamp. but i screwed up trying to stamp my name into it. had to remove it. tried again. blew it again. removed it again. well, after the third time and now realizing the stem was no longer in shape i ended up having to remove all the rustication on the stem, reshaping and doing the rustication on the stem again with the hopes that it all matches up. the stem ended up thinner than i liked and really didn't want to sand anymore off of it. so, i left off the smooth band the second time around, as well as the stamp.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad for a second attempt. The stem/shank is a bit off with the stem angling downward creating a gap on top. As far as overall composition, to my eye, either the shank needs to be thinner or the bowl needs to be thicker. Otherwise it's pretty decent work, IMHO. I like the rustication.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Leus

Post by Leus »

This is a way excellent pipe for a second attempt. You are on a good track.
Nick

Post by Nick »

mathias65 wrote:thanks for the comments so far.

stummel bum, you have a good eye. sadly there is a small gap at the top where the stem meets. and i don't have a tripod, but will look into getting one. i was probably also shooting too close too. i'll play with it and if i can come up with some better shots maybe i'll post them instead.
Tripods are pretty easy to make. The screw in the camera bottoms are pretty standard. I used a flexible thingamabob from one of my son's toys and streadied with with a coffee can full of chain. Ugly as sin, but it gets the job done.