ugly ebonite

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: ugly ebonite

Post by baweaverpipes »

Mr. Messer,
You are a nut!
Like Mr. Johnson, I use Bakelite and am very pleased that it does not contain lead, lest the CPSC come get me for a total pipe recall.
On a positive note, Bakelite has a sweet aroma, when turned, versus the stench from ebonite. This is something that might be of interest for your pipe making endeavors. I wear a respirator, but I suggest you breath deep, the sweet aroma of Bakelite.
And..........while on that subject, I am not certain, but I don't believe we have seen ANY of your work. We would be pleased to view and comment. Please!
As far as it being a replacement for ebonite, folly. This is an artistic choice Do you think Rad wanted everyone to switch to his black and green ebonite?
Regarding legal liability, WTF? We're making pipes! Tobacco pipes! Pipes for tobacco, something that has been linked to the risk for cancer! To worry about Bakelite for tobacco pipes seems silly.
In all candor, I think you need to concentrate on pipe making and not all the nuances related to materials.
Once you have shown us some of your work, credence might be given toward some of your scientific studies and artistry. Otherwise, it might appear that you just want to tease and create controversy.
Mr. Mike "Bo" Messer, I wish you well in your artistic quest.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Mike Messer wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:Before buying from SEM, I would ask around and make sure she's...
Where you been, Todd? (I know where you been) You know that's a crock. In context it's just pure slander. You started this BS, and I suggest you end it, It's counterproductive.
M.M.

Back to the subject...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike, If you knew what you were talking about, that would be good, but SEM has had quality problems, and like any quality manufacturer has tried to correct them. Todd is simply pointing this out. That is NOT counterproductive, it's helping pipe makers to avoid a lot of headache.

I got some of their swirly stuff in Chicago last year, and it was too soft to cut clean or take a shine. Many other real pipe makers I know have had the same experience, even with their black rod.

The black that I've gotten from them has given me no problems, but I know others who've experienced difficulties with it and had to return it for replacement.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Hoo boy....

Mike, I don't know why you feel you must poke Todd like so. It's counterproductive. Besides, butting heads with Todd is my job, and I don't take kindly to folks trying to muscle in on my territory.

At any rate, Todd's post isn't the least bit slanderous. Slander would be if the statement were false, and was made knowing so, with the intent of doing financial injury. Clearly that isn't case.

SEM has had some problems in the past, which appear to be corrected. Todd stated fact, with a warning, and a qualification. I think it's a perfectly reasonable statement.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Guys, didn't you read Mike's post? He knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who know Larry Roush.

I suggest you let the Master teach, hmm?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Hoo boy is right, Jezzs, I don't know where to begin. Okay one at a time.

1. I'm a nut. No problem, a Brazil nut, and B. that sweet aroma is Phenol (Carbolic Acid), and it's highly toxic, seriously, don't breath it.

2. SEM had problems, in the past. In context, Todd's statement was intentionally designed to warp that into the present, and that's the first time I have heard anyone say anything bad about SEM. The very first time, and now the second time, the very second time.

3. So, as I see it, Todd took the first poke, when he warped SEM's past problem into the present, which I believe, from past experience had nothing to do with SEM, but had more to do with the fact that I recommended SEM, and Todd feels that he must slander anything that I say to defend his own self-righteousness. He takes a lot of pokes. He's an ass, that's why. I just punch back.

4. Teach this :takethat:

In summary I recommended SEM to a fellow who wanted to buy some ebonite. The rest is just a load of Bullshit.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Mikey, you should go back on your meds. I suggested asking around to make certain the quality problems with certain rods have been fixed-nothing more, nothing less. You grossly overestimate your "importance," both to me, and in general. I find you amusing in the same way a child finds a happy-meal toy amusing. You apparently don't make pipes, and you clearly know nothing about making them, so don't endeavor to dictate to those of us who do about our methods, material choices, or anything else. Focus your energies on learning rather than teaching and perhaps you'll get somewhere.

TJ
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

ToddJohnson wrote:Mikey, you should go back on your meds. I suggested asking around to make certain the quality problems with certain rods have been fixed-nothing more, nothing less. You grossly overestimate your "importance," both to me, and in general. I find you amusing in the same way a child finds a happy-meal toy amusing. You apparently don't make pipes, and you clearly know nothing about making them, so don't endeavor to dictate to those of us who do about our methods, material choices, or anything else. Focus your energies on learning rather than teaching and perhaps you'll get somewhere.

TJ
...more BS from the guy who brought you all this other BS,
and the name is Mike, ...Mr. Messer if you're nasty. :lol:
Last edited by Mike Messer on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Mike Messer wrote:
SEM had problems, in the past. In context, Todd's statement was intentionally designed to warp that into the present
You are completely wrong. I won't even bother explaining why, you will just take it as a personal attack.
Mike Messer wrote: So, as I see it, Todd took the first poke, when he warped SEM's past problem into the present, which I believe, from past experience had nothing to do with SEM, but had more to do with the fact that I recommended SEM, and Todd feels that he must slander anything that I say to defend his own self-righteousness. He takes a lot of pokes. He's an ass, that's why. I just punch back.
Every post you make proves your idiocy, and no one needs to set out to slander you.

"A man's greatness can be measured by his enemies." - Don Piatt. Seems you are trying to pervert this by making Todd your enemy to increase your self-worth. Pathetic.
Mike Messer wrote: In summary I recommended SEM to a fellow who wanted to buy some ebonite. The rest is just a load of Bullshit.
You have zero credibility.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Bother explaining why, T3, else you have zero credibility.
If you only see the simpleton surface, yea, I'm all wrong, but there's a little more to it, I say.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Mike Messer wrote:
Ok, so all of his other semi-entertaining retardation aside, this is more than a little creepy. Can I please be the first to publicly lobby for his removal from our community? Hr doesn't make pipes, doesn't contribute anything but irritation an controversy, and is clearly possibly even unstable.

Hate to make a suggestion like this, but this is getting ridiculous.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

SimeonTurner wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:
Ok, so all of his other semi-entertaining retardation aside, this is more than a little creepy. Can I please be the first to publicly lobby for his removal from our community? Hr doesn't make pipes, doesn't contribute anything but irritation an controversy, and is clearly possibly even unstable.

Hate to make a suggestion like this, but this is getting ridiculous.
Jesus, Simeon, it hasn't even begun to get ridiculous, yet. What, did you think the silly little icon shooting guns might hurt someone, or what?
At least, I can compose English without a lot of spelling errors, which is evidence of who is actually unstable.
...also, "clearly posibly," should have a comma, and is a contradiction, logically.
...and you were a High School teacher, right?
...and I wouldn't exactly call the crap you make, pipes.
...and while we are on the topic of creepy, and ridiculous, lets mention the creepy, gutless, little worm who likes to jump in when he thinks he can score a point. This ain't High School, Simeon, and I'm not some 14 year old kid you can kick around. Shove off, buddy boy. :takethat:
Last edited by Mike Messer on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Mike Messer wrote:Bother explaining why, T3, else you have zero credibility.
If you only see the simpleton surface, yea, I'm all wrong, but there's a little more to it, I say.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

How dare you insult ANYONE else's pipes, Mike. You are a real piece of shit.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
d6monk

Post by d6monk »

Speaking of productive...

Ok, so some makers have experienced quality problems with SEM: who else have you guys bought from, and what have your experiences been?
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Sasquatch wrote:How dare you insult ANYONE else's pipes, Mike. You are a real piece of shit.
That's my honest opinion fo his work, and his personality.

also, see page 9,
Post subject: Re: Question About Ebonite Smell Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:02 am
Sasquatch
..."The fact that the only pipe Mike posted here was a terrible looking piece of shit..."
Last edited by Mike Messer on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

douchebag wrote:...and I wouldn't exactly call the crap you make, pipes.
Coming from literally any other poster on this site, I would probably be really hurt by this crack; however, coming from you, Mike, all I can do is laugh so hard I can barely type this response. Post a pic of a pipe you have made. Just 1 pic. Even if it's a pipe from a predrilled kit. Even if it isn't finished. Just post a picture of a pipe you have actually made. Then I'll stop making pipes forever, because another ACTUAL PIPE MAKER ripped me like that. Till then, you just make yourself look even stupider than you already have.

Oh, and there's a comma splice in your quote above. I'll let you try and find it. ;)
Last edited by SimeonTurner on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

T3pipes wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:Bother explaining why, T3, else you have zero credibility.
Alright, T3, you are in violation of pipemakersforum rule, 33, para. 4
quote, "No member may post a self-portrait..."

I will explain. A self-portrait is a portrait of yoursef. Get it?
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

Mike Messer wrote:
I was making fun of you.

I will explain. you make as much sense as that picture, you are an idiot. Get it?
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

SimeonTurner wrote:
douchebag wrote:...and I wouldn't exactly call the crap you make, pipes.
Coming from literally any other poster on this site, I would probably be really hurt by this crack; however, coming from you, Mike, all I can do is laugh so hard I can barely type this response. Post a pic of a pipe you have made. Just 1 pic. Even if it's a pipe from a predrilled kit. Even if it isn't finished. Just post a picture of a pipe you have actually made. Then I'll stop making pipes forever, because another ACTUAL PIPE MAKER ripped me like that. Till then, you just make yourself look even stupider than you already have.

Oh, and there's a comma splice in your quote above. I'll let you try and find it. ;)
It wasn't a crack. You just pried my honest opinion out of me, sorry, I normally only comment on other pipemakers work if I like the work, but I believe it was you who insulted me, first, and now again. ...and many of you tend to resort to the pipe pictures argument, in desperation, when all else fails to prove your erroneous point.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

T3pipes wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:
I was making fun of you.

I will explain. you make as much sense as that picture, you are an idiot. Get it?
Duh, I didn't get it, get it?

I will explain. Idiot pictures and name calling is not an explanation. Get it?