Initial Efforts

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Philthy

Initial Efforts

Post by Philthy »

I have been meaning to post my first efforts at making pipes for some time now. I do not wish to simply be a lurker or not have something to put out there in support of any comments I might wish to make. I have only held off due to the inability to upload images. I finally got around to creating a separate folder in my knives website (got off my lazy ass) that should work and allow me link urls in the post. If it doesnt work I will try something else.

First pipe stated as a kit from Boswell's. I know there are flaws mainly because I got in a hurry to smoke it. It came out looking pretty close to original plan and I was not too disappointed in her. She smokes very well. If this works I will post more pics of differing angles.

http://www.philsmithknives.com/images/p ... %20Try.jpg
Philthy

2nd pipe

Post by Philthy »

Okay that seemed to work - must be my lucky night.

My second pipe started as a bargain bin ebauchon from PIMO. I successfully drilled the bowl and draught holes using a spade bit I ground on my KMG grinder. I think I did a better job in shaping. Added a 12ga. brass and a hand filed stem from an acrylic pen blank from Woodcraft. Somehow I actually wound up witha smokable pipe.
http://www.philsmithknives.com/images/p ... 20002b.jpg

I managed to work around the cracks in the scrap....I mean crap....I mean bargain bin, block. There was actually some nice grain hiding n there.
http://www.philsmithknives.com/images/p ... 20005b.jpg

More pics to follow if anyone has an interest.
viccuus

Re: Initial Efforts

Post by viccuus »

Philthy, I really like both of them. My only comment on the first one is the gap on the stem where you can see the tenon. On the second one, the transition between the shank and the bowl on the bottom looks like it could be a little smoother. (That might just be the light as well.) But other than that, I really like them both. I especially like the "nosewarmy" look of them. I have a definite soft spot for stubby pipes.

Also, I'm glad someone else is also jumping on the PIMO bargain bin briar. Who can go wrong at $5 a block? Plus, having to work around cracks and blemishes makes you a little more creative. I really like what you did.
"Why a four year old child could understand this... Run out and find me a four year old child -I can't make head or tail out of it!" -Groucho Marx
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very nice first efforts. You'll want to consider finishing equipment as a next step to get a good buff and shine to give them a more professional finished appearance. Keep up the good work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

viccuus wrote:Philthy, I really like both of them. My only comment on the first one is the gap on the stem where you can see the tenon.....
You sir are absolutely correct. Or I should say, were correct. I did not like that either and (okay, not so promptly) counterbored a bit and gap/visible tenon are no more.
wdteipen wrote:... You'll want to consider finishing equipment as a next step to get a good buff and shine to give them a more professional finished appearance...
Once again absolutely correct! I have a motor and foot switch ready, just need to place the order with Kurt for the adaptor and pads. I dont know why I have not done so already I dont really have ADD, I just....oh look, a kitty!
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

I like the overall look of the first one ,and you got there some very sharp looking damaskin blades .
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I really like that second one, very "old Peterson" -esque, if you know what I mean. The shotshell brass is a nice touch. And I use those pen blanks a lot, mostly because my wife keeps bringing them home. She think black stems are SOOOOOO boring. :roll: :lol:
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Abi Natur wrote:I like the overall look of the first one ,and you got there some very sharp looking damaskin blades .
Thank you very much, Abi.

Hhmmm....You got some very yummy looking olive wood there......if you were looking for a "sharp looking damaskin blade" a guy might be looking to do some trading. :thumbsup:
Uncle Arthur

Post by Uncle Arthur »

Love the chubby look of the second pipe. It looks very comforting to hold in the hand.
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Uncle Arthur wrote:Love the chubby look of the second pipe. It looks very comforting to hold in the hand.
Having worked as a development engineer in medical devices I tend to approach things from a functional and ergonomic standpoint first followed by the aesthetic. It has been true for my knives and now my pipes as well. Many of my knives were designed handle first. I have found that it usually does not limit you much this way whereas if you approach it aesthetics first you can find yourslef in a world of hurt functionally.

I think we all recognize that a lot of the shape/comfort/fit is very dependent upon the individual. One guy may think a long slim Canadian is awesome while someone else just cannot deal with anything other than a nice curved fat nosewarmer. The only real difference may be taste in shapes. On the other hand my local B&M has a very very nice freehand estate for $60. Beautiful straight grain, dark stain w/highlights, half bend , big bowl, pateau top - what more could I ask for- its gorgeous! Till I pick it up..... The bowl is shaped very "square". The size and the taper of the bowl are good but the corners are really pretty sharp thus it just will not rest in my hand easily.

Hopefully I can manage to stay in balance between the form and the function
Uncle Arthur

Post by Uncle Arthur »

From the look of things you are combining form and function very nicely!
stummel bum

Post by stummel bum »

Love the look of that first one.
Cheers,
Rob