Need the mathematical formula....

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
t-bear

Need the mathematical formula....

Post by t-bear »

....for a well balanced pipe. There is a mathematical formula...something-or-other triangle...has to do with the optimum ratio between the height of the bowl to the length of the shank to the overall length of the pipe. If you hold these ratios, the pipe is balanced visually...stray away enough and the pipe looks "off". I "think" I saw it here eons ago, but can't find it. Trying to settle an argument with a fellow carver. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
T-Bear
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Re: Need the mathematical formula....

Post by kbadkar »

THE GOLDEN RATIO

The answer is 1.62
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

Man everytime I think I might be able to get good at something, I realize I have no idea what kind of talent and knowledge lurks.

Golden ratios in pipemaking design huh, never considered it, but that is a smart idea.

All right just read the wikiapedia page on golden triangles. I am having flashbacks to high school calc....my head hurts.
Last edited by loosvelt on Sat May 22, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Does anyone know the source of the "golden ratio" for pipes? Was it a Dunhill ratio?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

Pretty sure the golden ration is the same for everything from buildings to peoples faces to pipes. I suspect pipemakers tried to achieve it without even knowing what they were doing.
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
t-bear

Post by t-bear »

"Golden RATIO" That's what I was looking for....thank you!
Argument settled....for now. LOL
I've been down this road before and the discussion rages on. This formula is not the end-all in design. but it is a place to start. If we vary much from these constraints, objects start to look spindly (look at a Canadian/Lumberman pipe) or blocky (your quintessential "nose-warmer"). Visually, these shapes can look pleasing, but also "unusual" due to the fact that they do stray from the "norm". I did an experiment a while back....with photos of Bo Nordh's Ramses...an unusual but very pleasing design. Not surprising that it falls very close to the Golden Ratio in it's configuration.
I'm a stone cold novice in this hobby, but I find that my most pleasing-to-look-at pipes fall within this ratio.......just some food for thought.

Thank you for your time gentlemen, and for helping me with my dilema!
T-Bear
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Ahhh. Makes sense.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com