Ebony?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
frogjunk

Ebony?

Post by frogjunk »

Hello. This is my first post, so I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody here. I have a good friend who gave me a large piece of ebony and I was just wondering if it's a good candidate for pipemaking. Any experience or advice? Thanks.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Re: Ebony?

Post by Alan L »

In my limited experience, true ebony (Diospyros sp.) will crack when exposed to heat and moisture. African Blackwood (Dalbergia sp.) works fine. Trouble is, both are black, heavy, and come from Africa. Do you know for sure what you've got?
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I have several pipes given to me from friends who have been to Africa. They smoke nice because it's so hard I guess. No cracking yet.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Yip, african blackwood is very very very hard (and therefore heavy!). They definitely won't crack and would probably outlast briar.
frogjunk

Post by frogjunk »

Thanks for the replies. I'm not an expert on wood. All I know is that the person who gave this wood to me is an African artist/carver from Mali. He has hand carved several ebony pipes, which are phenomenal, and has carved some briar pipes for me after I drilled the holes and fit the stems. I can only assume that the wood he gave me is true ebony. It does have a white inner core, if that's any indication. I'm anxious to give it a try.