Seen This Kind of Engraver?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
m.c.

Seen This Kind of Engraver?

Post by m.c. »

Watching a video of Viprati pipes, I saw this futuristic tool for zapping the signature on the shank. Takes less than a second. Really cool! Have you seen this stuff? Is it laser?

It's close to the end of this video, after the pipe has been finished.
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTcxNzAxMTMy.html
mathias65

Re: Seen This Kind of Engraver?

Post by mathias65 »

wow, that's awesome!! i want one whatever it is that's doing that!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Looks like a laser to me.

Rad
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi,

definitely laser. The Viprati stampings always looked like lasered to me. Makes really nice engravings, fine and precise.
mathias65 wrote:wow, that's awesome!! i want one whatever it is that's doing that!
The machines are, afaik, 600 bucks and up - guess, buying one only makes sense if you have a reasonable production output...
I have none... but found a guy who has one. Gave it a try on my latest piece:

regards, Jens
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

If you got $200-$400 bucks to spend you can pick up a good used Pantograph engraving machine with some type set and do it yourself. Lasers are nice but a good manual machine I think is more versitile. You can cut your own templates and make any design you want. I use a old Gorton 3U Pantograph machine to do my engraving of my logo and name on the stem and the pipe. Look around, Craigslist is where I found both of mine. One I payed 200.00 for and the other 150.00.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

This machine is a laser New Hermes programable pantograph without the mechanical arms I have a mechanical one . Did'nt have the $ 1900 they go for check it out at gravograph.com
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

As far as his pipes go they are really nice indeed. I saw how he inlays the metal logo in the stem but I wonder how he inlays the metal into the briar. If anything I got some good ideas from that video.
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

Those machines are way too cool and canons to mosquitoes. I'll just get a hand-held electric engraver and enjoy "cutting" a stamp. I guess it could be as much fun (and labor) as making pipes.