deep cleaning and polishing a sandblast

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
HauntedMyst

deep cleaning and polishing a sandblast

Post by HauntedMyst »

What do you guys recommend for deep cleaning and polishing a sandblast? I picked up an estate and its filthy and I want to clean it up. I have a buffer but that isn't going to work to clean it. Any tips or tricks?
Sully

Re: deep cleaning and polishing a sandblast

Post by Sully »

I know this mite sound a little out of the norm But I have been using Mr Clean Magic Eraser (original) to clean up bits that have oxidation. and on top of pipe it removes smoke build up, Caution it will dull finish. So just buff and should be fine
Don't tell anyone I'm keeping it a Secret :whisper:

I forgot wet the eraser a little it works better
DMI

Post by DMI »

A lot depends on how much you want to do to the pipe, if you just want to clean the surface before re-waxing then use an old tooth brush and warm water, in most cases it will leave the original finish intact.

If you want to re-finish the pipe (dye, polish,wax) then use alcohol of some type to remove the old finish and whatever is on the surface, this works well on the rim where the alcohol helps soften the cake. Re-apply the dye in thin layers ensuring that each is dry before the next goes on, you then have a choice between a shellac coat/finish or straight to wax finish.

David
HauntedMyst

Post by HauntedMyst »

Thanks David! I'll try the warm water and toothbrush route.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I was spray painting in my shop, and left a pipe in a location where it got some overspray.

I dipped a toothbrush in lacquer thinner, and kind of sprayed it off, then went after the pipe. It worked really well and didn't affect the finish much, which makes me think the pipe is shellac'd.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
EBK

Post by EBK »

I cleaned up a few estates w/ a nylon bristle dremel attachment at low speed. Worked great for me.

The tooth brush does sound a little safer though.