"glue"

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bandkbrooks

"glue"

Post by bandkbrooks »

I've seen some posts about using something to fill the holes even in the tobacco chamber. What is it called? It usually gets listed as two letters. Maybe CA CL etc. Where can I get it? There are a couple of rough spots inside one of my tobacco chambers and I want to fix them.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: "glue"

Post by TRS »

CA (cyanoacrylate adhesive) is Super Glue; I don't know about using it inside the tobacco chamber though....
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Thank you. How would it be used otherwise?
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
MenguantE

Post by MenguantE »

I think that CA is a litte toxic when is heated, but usually it's used outside the chamber, to fix that spots that are outside, but not in contact with hot air...
Correct me if i'm wrong. :roll:
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I think some people have mixed it with briar dust and used it to fill small cracks and holes in the briar.
flix

Post by flix »

I've used cigar ash mixed with water (spit?) to repair holes in chambers with very good results.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

flix wrote:I've used cigar ash mixed with water (spit?) to repair holes in chambers with very good results.
That's what I would do. Some people use tile grout, which is water based, and imparts no flavor.

You don't want any glue in your tobacco chamber. Super glue doesn't like heat, and it breaks down. So will epoxy.

Probably neither one of them would taste very good.

Rad
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Tile grout? Really?

Wow....learn something new every day... :shock:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Rad, just because YOU don't like the taste of burning epoxy... doesn't mean everybody doesn't, okay? I've almost perfected an epoxy/broccoli chamber coating, so don't burst my bubble.

Brandon, cyanoacrylate is sometimes used in conjunction with briar dust to form a sort of putty for doing fills (on the outside of a pipe) which will take stain and polish up etc. Sort of an invisible patch, if you will.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Sasquatch wrote:Rad, just because YOU don't like the taste of burning epoxy... doesn't mean everybody doesn't, okay? I've almost perfected an epoxy/broccoli chamber coating, so don't burst my bubble.

Brandon, cyanoacrylate is sometimes used in conjunction with briar dust to form a sort of putty for doing fills (on the outside of a pipe) which will take stain and polish up etc. Sort of an invisible patch, if you will.
For the record, I don't know any professional pipemaker who actually mixes briar dust with CA to form a putty and then plugs holes with it. Unfortunately, this is the perception of some collectors, who equate CA with a "fill." In this case, I think it would indeed constitute a fill since you're actually pushing a foreign substance into a hole/pit/fissure in the wood to bring it up to grade. I realize we're just talking about making a serviceable pipe for the maker to smoke himself, but I do want to correct the misperception that this is common practice. And I'm with Rad about CA or epoxy in the tobacco chamber--don't do it.

TJ
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

Sasquatch wrote:Rad, just because YOU don't like the taste of burning epoxy... doesn't mean everybody doesn't...
That's a perfect way to blend pipesmoking with glue sniffing! :lol:

For an outside filling, most industrial glue based putty might be ok if class and grade is not the concern. But inside the chamber...Well although I haven't tried and can't tell whether it's workable, anyway I don't have the guts to.

If some binding agent is to be used with briar dust, I would choose something natural. I have tried glutinous rice (steamed and kneaded into fine paste) on corncobs (without briar dust) with good result. While technically it's not strictly taste neutral, it doesn't impart any foul taste since it's cereal like corn. Using glutinous rice as a reinforcing concrete binder was literally an "ancient Chinese secret" on some centuries old constructions including the Great Wall.

P.S. That's about the inside chamber. I don't know what is the right material for outside filling.
Mark Beattie

Post by Mark Beattie »

m.c. wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Rad, just because YOU don't like the taste of burning epoxy... doesn't mean everybody doesn't...
That's a perfect way to blend pipesmoking with glue sniffing! :lol:

For an outside filling, most industrial glue based putty might be ok if class and grade is not the concern. But inside the chamber...Well although I haven't tried and can't tell whether it's workable, anyway I don't have the guts to.

If some binding agent is to be used with briar dust, I would choose something natural. I have tried glutinous rice (steamed and kneaded into fine paste) on corncobs (without briar dust) with good result. While technically it's not strictly taste neutral, it doesn't impart any foul taste since it's cereal like corn. Using glutinous rice as a reinforcing concrete binder was literally an "ancient Chinese secret" on some centuries old constructions including the Great Wall.

P.S. That's about the inside chamber. I don't know what is the right material for outside filling.

I ran into a really bad block while attempting a billiard shape recently. I wanted to salvage the pipe to satisfy my ego, more than anything else, so I decided to try the 'rice fill' mentioned above. One tablespoon of rice in a coffee blender for a minute produces a fine dust and when mixed with equal parts water and boiled, produces a fine 'rice goop' which is inserted into your fissure/pit with a syringe or sewing needle. After a couple hours of drying time it can be sanded to a fine finish. This method worked well after I has used a leather dye to stain the bowl.

Just thought I'd chime in.

Mark
DMI

Post by DMI »

Hot CA gives of cyanide and another couple of really bad gasses so is a no no in the chamber or on the rim.

Externally two part wood or car filler works well.

The big problem with ca/dust as a filler is that it takes a polish better than briar so when the initial polish has worn away you end up with a really shiny black bit that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Any flaws bigger than a pinhead get the pipe rusticated or reshaped, pinhead and smaller I fill with ca and 24ct gold dust thereby making a feature of it.

David.
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

DMI wrote: Any flaws bigger than a pinhead get the pipe rusticated or reshaped, pinhead and smaller I fill with ca and 24ct gold dust thereby making a feature of it.

David.
Where do you guys get your gold dust? That always seemed like a cool idea.
DMI

Post by DMI »

EBAY
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

DMI

Post by DMI »

Close, the stuff I have really is dust and behaves more like a liquid at times.

PS The gold fills is one of my trademarks............................

David.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Doesn't CA glue set incredibly fast? You must have to work quickly mixing the gold dust and applying the fill. I've know I've glued my fingers together more than once with that stuff :banghead:
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
taharris

Post by taharris »

DMI wrote:Hot CA gives of cyanide and another couple of really bad gasses so is a no no in the chamber or on the rim.

Externally two part wood or car filler works well.

The big problem with ca/dust as a filler is that it takes a polish better than briar so when the initial polish has worn away you end up with a really shiny black bit that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Any flaws bigger than a pinhead get the pipe rusticated or reshaped, pinhead and smaller I fill with ca and 24ct gold dust thereby making a feature of it.

David.
David is absolutely correct! Never put CA glue anywhere near the chamber or the rim.
(Unless, of course you are trying to dwindle your customer base. :lol: )

Todd
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

DMI wrote:Close, the stuff I have really is dust and behaves more like a liquid at times.

PS The gold fills is one of my trademarks............................

David.
Well I do know you're not the only guy I've seen who does it. I'd love to know which dust in particular you're talking about, but if you wanna keep that info to yourself that's your prerogative of course.

Just so you know I'm not makin' things up, I actually got the idea from meathod (http://www.dmpipes.com/pipes.html). He uses crushed stone and gold inlay in many of his very unique designs.