Spade bits Pimo or tim west?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
loosvelt

Spade bits Pimo or tim west?

Post by loosvelt »

Guys I want to buy some spade bits this week. Are the spade bits from pimo and tim west pretty equal in quality. Is the only difference just the shape? What is easier for a beginner with a drill press? Would the pimo need a pilot hole while the TW would not...etc. I can't make up mind. What you boys think?
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Spade bits Pimo or tim west?

Post by TRS »

I can't speak for the Tim West bits, but the Pimos definitely should have a pilot. The West ones probably should too. The only difference is in your preference of chamber shape. I use a Forstner of the same diameter to drill in half way or more, and then use the spade bit to finish it.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I am very much a beginner so I can't say with too much authority, but I have the spade bits from Tim and a drill press and they have worked really well with no pilot hole necessary.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
flix

Post by flix »

I've used both, neither need a pilot hole, just a good pilot...
Skip

Post by Skip »

I have used Tim`s for a long time. I never used a pilot hole and they cut just fine. Never tried Pimo.
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

flix wrote:I've used both, neither need a pilot hole, just a good pilot...
ha, good one
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

My PIMO bits work just fine with no pilot hole. In fact, I found that a pilot hole led to unnecessary clattering around which was less than helpful.
Regards,
Tim
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Okay, I stand corrected. I guess you don't need a pilot. I'm drilling with a lathe and I make sure that my Pimo bit is inside the Forstner pilot before I start drilling, which negates the chatter; I guess I just find the Forstner more accurate, steady and less apt to burn the chamber. I really just use the chamber bit for finishing the bottom of the bowl and hooking up to the draught hole.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Both are great vendors. I typically work with Tim West though. Great guy.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Traderbob

Post by Traderbob »

I am fairly new to this too - only four pipes and ruined two blocks so far. I chose a different route and used my bench grinder on wood bits and made my own bits. I did several test runs in plain wood and am please with the results. I made one standard and one conical with 3/4" bits that cost about $4.50. I used a 5/8" bit for small sized pipes. Just thowing that out for your consideration.
tradhunter wrote:Guys I want to buy some spade bits this week. Are the spade bits from pimo and tim west pretty equal in quality. Is the only difference just the shape? What is easier for a beginner with a drill press? Would the pimo need a pilot hole while the TW would not...etc. I can't make up mind. What you boys think?
My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new. Robert Service
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's not hard at all to grind a spade bit into a pipe chamber bit. I've done all my own bits so far and no problems at all. Nothing to compare to, but they leave a smooth finish and don't burn, so what else could a guy want?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
CedarSlayer

Post by CedarSlayer »

Pretty easy to make one. If you have a normal spade bit, power drill, block of wood and a belt grinder, you can free hand one easily.

1. you will be using power tools, so be careful and smart.

2. Drill a hole through a block near an end. My block is about 7" long and 1" square. The drill hole needs to be the size of the shaft on the spade bit.

3. Feed the bit through the hole and attach the drill to the bit's shaft.

4. With the block of wood held against the belt grinders tool guide, you can now spin the drill bit in place, and by adjusting the position of the wood, bring the spinning bit gently into contact with the abrasive belt on the belt grinder. As long as you gradually bring the spinning spade bit into contact with the moving belt, you can quickly but gently shape the bit and be quite sure of it being concentric. After you have a nice shape, you also have a reasonable bit for reaming out a hole.

5. To make the reasonable bit into a superb bit, you will need to alter the somewhat rounded edge, to one that has a bit more bite. This can be done with a file, I go ahead and do it freehand on the belt grinder.

Bob
I would rather look stupid today, than be stupid tomorrow.

http://toolmakingart.com/