and now for something completely different ...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
mathias65

and now for something completely different ...

Post by mathias65 »

Here are two of my more recent pipes. The first is made out of briar, with lucite stem stock. The second out of Michigan Cherry wood, and again, lucite stem stock.

I know that most of you out there will look at these and immediately think, sheesh, these should be in a dispensary, or head shop, and you'd be absolutely right. Not sure how appropriate it is to post such pipes publicly, but the fact is I like them and it's nice to see something you made being used by someone other than yourself. You see, in real life I only know 1 person who smokes an actual tobacco pipe (other than myself that is) and he's an uncle in Wisconsin who has smoked the same crusty ole Falcon pipe for the past 35 years +. I've made him two pipes and he's never used either of them. These pipes on the other hand immediately went to friends who immediately put them to use and were happy campers. I think that's what it's all about. :)

Finished this next one last night ...

Of course comments, suggestions, and complaints are welcome. :)
Last edited by mathias65 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: and now for something completely different ...

Post by baweaverpipes »

Looks like it was whittled with toenails and ready for some unsuspecting and buzzed stoner.
Like man, you know, I mean, uh, what, oh yeah, I mean like, you know, I can dig it, you know, like, uh, who, uh, he-he-ha-ha, I mean, uh, who's that, I mean, yeah, un, like, isn't there a doper forum for these?
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Well, I don't know too much about the aesthetics behind... that kind of pipe. However, I would really focus on getting the junction between the wood and lucite really tight. It looks like you've got a bit of a gap, or perhaps you didn't sand the two together. Of course, after a couple of hits, I doubt that really matters.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

DAVE'S NOT HERE!

Rad
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

:shock:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Personally I would tighten up the wood/lucite transition a bit, as well as define the bowl "shank" area bit more. Make it just a bit "tighter" if you know what I mean. As it is, the shape is a bit loose, and rather amorphous, lacking definition.

That said, you get my congrats for honesty. If you're going to post a dispensary pipe, you might as well be up front about it. :) There have been a few obvious examples here in the past, but they always deny it and try to deflect the accusation. Which leads to even more ribbing.

Besides, with marijuana becoming more and more legal every day, and tobacco getting taxed out of existence, there's probably a really good market for that type of pipe. High Grade Dispensary Pipes, anyone?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Heh...there is probably an incredible business model in there somewhere. High grade handmade pipes, and high grade hand grown product as an "accessory". I predict that in the next decade that will be not only a possibility, but a legal option.

Wow... :nuts:
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

pffffffffffff Whats it do man, Get you high?!?!?!?!
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I applaud the entrepreneurial spirit but I am not sure why you went to the trouble. Just poke some holes in an empty Pepsi can next time. Besides, it seems fitting to smoke garbage with garbage. Just sayin'. . . :?
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Those are ugly.

TJ
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Nice pipes. I have no objections to marijuana pipes being posted. I'm just curious, what is the purpose of the front stem?
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments.

I knew when posting these pics that the comment could be fun, perhaps even a bit colorful if you will. I'm even a bit surprised that theses pipes received as many good remarks as they did.

As for the "stem" pieces on the front .. well.. the fact is these two are not the first two of these kind of pipes that I made. I made one other before them. It was made out of a tiny little scrap of cherry wood that I had. To be honest, I was going to make that scrap into a mini tobacco pipe, but screwed up the drilling, badly. Wasn't paying any attention and ended up drilling straight through the other side of the block .. and worse yet, missed the bowl altogether. (Hey, I was learning, hehe.) Well, I couldn't bring myself to throw away the block. So the more I looked at it, the more I realized that it could be used for a pipe like this, and that horrible hole I just made would make for a nice wide bore and carburator perfect for smoking a product such as this. So I went with it. However when it was finished it turned out that the carb on the front was a bit close to the bowl .. got hot on the fingers so I'm told. And it turned out I had a piece of stem stock, in the same color, that already had a tenon and was over-drilled, laying around .. so I just finished it and added it to that end as an extension. Well a couple friends of mine seen that newly finished pipe that I salvaged out of all those mistakes, and liked it. Both wanted pipes just like it.

And here we are. :) I'm happy because someone other than me is smoking my pipes. And they're happy because they got exactly what they asked for. Not to mention the fact that I'm sure they have since filled the finish products and are putting them to good use. :lol:
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

DAVE'S NOT HERE!

Rad
ROTFLMAO! :lol:
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Last edited by bluesmk on Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

ToddJohnson wrote:Those are ugly.

TJ
Didn't you mean hideous?
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Is the "carburator" for blending air with the smoke? I assume that you have to cover the opening when you draw, why have the extra airway at all? Please explain.
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

I won't say this pipe is beautiful, but it's interesting, particularly the "carburetor", which I happen to have also fancied. These things bring good fun to the site (hopefully also to you as the maker)...well, at least it's more creative than the hackneyed marijuana joke. :wink: