Making a new stem

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
NathanA
Site Supporter

Making a new stem

Post by NathanA »

So, I posted a partially rusticated billiard a few weeks back and mentioned that I was sending it to a friend for his birthday. Well, in his excitement to show it off and break it in, he fumbled it and dropped it right on the stem and of course the tenon snapped off before he could even pack it and light it for the first time. I have never done any repairs before so I have a question about fitting a new stem to an already finished pipe. Should I just tape off the shank and carefully sand and file it to match and then just polish and wax the whole thing again or am I totally off base? Also, if taping is the right thing to do, what type of tape should I use? Thanks everyone.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Re: Making a new stem

Post by TimGeorge »

I would appreciate an answer here also. I need to do a replacement stem, and have never tried that before. I was also thinking tape of some kind ...
Regards,
Tim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

When I have done this, I cut it as close as possible on the lathe, then put a piece of very thin cellophane tape on the shank as insurance, and carefully sand the stem down to the shank. It's inevitable that you're going to have to do some restaining and touchups, but the tape will help minimize the amount you have to do.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Being slow and deliberate and following Kurt's approach is the way to go.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

I've used a single layer of common masking tape. As soon as the files/sandpaper start to wear through the tape I replace it. Go slow and carefully. bob gilbert
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

Just to follow up, I had good results using some packing tape (thin cellophane I guess?). It proved very durable and came off easy. Masking tape for me at least was a little thick. Sanding down to the tape left still a good bit to go, so I switched to the packing tape. Still took some delicate work after that, with no tape, but not much and I managed it okay.
Regards,
Tim