new "pipemaker"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DaGamba

new "pipemaker"

Post by DaGamba »

OK. I'm new at this so I'm just checking to see if this works. I will post more later.

Something about me. I'm really new to pipe smoking and specially to pipe making. I'm a musician from sweden now living in germany. I do have the tendency to try to make the things I need myself. I don't know why but I guess it's the thrill of being able to be sort of "selfsupporting" or something. I have been lurking around this forum for a few months now and I have to tell you how thankful I am. I've learnt so much, and still am, from just looking around at this forum. It's really amazing that a forum like this exists. Where people share all there knowledge and secrets without even getting payed for it. Kinda gives me hopes for the future...
So, this pipe pictured here(if it works...) is my first pipe. It's from a pre drilled block and I just shaped it. After this pipe I started drilling my own pipes. Although I still use pre molded stems (waiting for a shipment of rods now to try to start making my own stems). I use a drill press and sanding disc. Want to try out a lathe but I guess it will have to wait until I have more money. I would like to have honest, and in someways, harsh comments since I am aiming to be a professional pipe maker someday.
Thank you guys for all the info I get from this site!

DaGamba

Re: new "pipemaker"

Post by DaGamba »

Ok. That didn't work out very well. I'll just post some more pix and hope for the best. Any comments will be very much appreciated...

This is my first pipe. Pre drilled.

My second pipe and the first I drilled myself.

Following are some more early pipes I made
I would really like to know what you guys think about the rustication on this pipe

Olive wood

Trying out the volcano style...

I would really appreciate any comments. I have made some 10 or so pipes after these and I will try an post them when I get around to take pix of them.
Thanx alot
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

wow.. nice.. i like the olive wood one the best :) keep going, nice pipes...
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Nice pipes! :wink:
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

Really nice pipes, keep up the good work!
Dotter, Croatia
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thank you guys for your kind words! :)
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

That rustication is sweet. How'd you do it? :D
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

I just use a Dremel. The shaft of a broken sharpening thing. The ones that have some kind of sand stone, or what's it called. http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Pop-ups/Pag ... =952&tab=1 But without the stone then. And then I just sort of make the "dots" and then the lines. Fairly easy and not very time consuming. I have only tried rusticating with a Dremel but I kinda like it.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

The rustication is nice but I don't like the Xs. Straight lines are fine but I feel an X is jarring to the eye and distracts. bob gilbert
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thanx Bob. Yeah, I was a bit uncertain about that too. It's only one X and in real it doesn't look as straight as it does in the pic. I was trying to make it look more "nature made" instead of man made. Guess it didn't work out as I thought it would. Well, learning by trial and error....