Basic Tools for a New Guy

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Here2Learn

Basic Tools for a New Guy

Post by Here2Learn »

I'm Just getting into pipe making and I've read so many different things online that I have no idea where to start and what I would need. I recently ordered a book on pipe making and I'm hoping that will shed some light on my lack of knowledge.

So far the only tools I have are a Drill, Dremel, Dremel Work Station, Clamps, and a bunch of bits that are way to short to make a hole through the stem. Given what I have I'm looking for suggestions as to what else I would need to be able to make a pip and not stop part of the way through because I'm missing something.

Keep in mind I'm a poor college student and am not in the position to spend a ton of money. Not yet at least...

Thanks in advance!
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Basic Tools for a New Guy

Post by KurtHuhn »

Hi Alex, in addition to my response to your PM, you'll want a set of tobacco chamber bits unless you plan on shaping the tobacco chamber by hand using your dremel. That, of course, is possible (at least one guy used to do that) but it's not the most efficient method.

Of course, to use those properly, you're going to want a full size drill press. The good thing is, you can find these relatively inexpensively if you troll Freecycle or Craigslist - or even eBay for local auctions that indicate "local pickup only".
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'd say a drill press is the most important single piece of equipment, because as kurt says, it allows you to drill chambers (and you can make the bit from an old spade bit with a file or grinder), and to drill stems to accept a delrin rod in order to make your own tenons etc.

You can set up to buff on a drill press too. As a single unit, it's a very good investment for a pipemaker. Now, you can set up a lathe to do just about everything a drill press will (and more) but the cost is far more.

A set of rasps and files in various shapes - round and half round specifically will help immensely with shaping.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Here2Learn

Post by Here2Learn »

Sasquatch wrote: you can make the bit from an old spade bit with a file or grinder

Please forgive the lack of knowledge, I have no idea what how would I go about doing that. Could you provide instruction please?

Thanks
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

To be brutally honest, save your money for a good metal lathe.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Perhaps it depends on a guy's intended vector as a pipe maker too. The initial outlay for "proper" tooling is way more, but then you are on the "right track" without wasting cash on crappy stuff you won't use later on in life.

Spade bit instructions? Take a spade bit, and grind it into the shape you want. Try to make both sides the same.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Here2Learn

Post by Here2Learn »

baweaverpipes wrote:To be brutally honest, save your money for a good metal lathe.
Even if I had the money I don't have space for something like that now. I'm still in school and I live in a small apartment. Eventually I'll end up with one but that wont be for a few more years. I'll have to make due with my situation for now.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sasquatch wrote: Take a spade bit, and grind it into the shape you want. Try to make both sides the same.
Would it be too much to ask for a picture, just so i can get an idea. I'll be honest when I say I know very little about wood work and the tools involved.

Thanks in advance!
Here2Learn

Post by Here2Learn »

Almost forgot, I also have a set of carving chisels. Without a lathe I'm not sure how I can apply them to pipe making. Any suggestions?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

From Wikipedia, spade bits:

From Tim West's site, s couple reshaped spade bits:

Reshaping is not that difficult. It can be done on a bench or belt grinder with very little drama. You should pay attention to the angle of the cutting edge, however.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Here2Learn

Post by Here2Learn »

Ok, so I was working on making the hole through the stem and ended up destroying it. I took a piece of steel and made the closest thing to a bit that I could, leveled everything, and while drilling it must have bent upward and broke through the outside of the stem. You live and you learn I guess lol. Any suggestions as to what I should do for a new stem?

After I ruined the stem I took a whack at shaping my own tobacco chamber bits. I started with the smallest and least likely one I would use.

I'll take all the criticism I can get so that I'm better prepared when I shape the more useful bits.

Thanks in advance!
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

If you are drilling with a hand drill rather than a drill press, the above pictured spade bits can make the chamber rather messy and can be dangerous. I'd suggest forstner bit + modified S&D bit.
This is a forstner bit. It's designed to be chatter-free even if you are using a handdrill. You can use it to reach about 3/4 of your desired chamber depth. Then follow up with a modified S&D bit, which is just a "regular" drill bit with a thin shank and its tip re-shaped into your desired chamber profile. Many pipemakers make it and you can purchase online. The forstner bit should be similar in diameter to the S&D bit or a hair smaller.

Drilling the stem without a drill press or lathe is hugely frustrating and wasteful, if not impossible. Probably it's only viable bo buy some predrilled rods or prefabricated stems.
Here2Learn

Post by Here2Learn »

I think getting a predrilled rod or prefab stem is going to be the only option for me. I'm not confident enough in my wood working abilities to try to make a new stem from a piece of similar wood.

Other than buying the stem, is there anything else I would need to get? Something to connect the stem to the bowl?

Thanks in advance!
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

m.c. wrote:Drilling the stem without a drill press or lathe is hugely frustrating and wasteful, if not impossible. Probably it's only viable bo buy some predrilled rods or prefabricated stems.
On the contrary, I drill all my stems freehand with a cordless drill and a set of 6" bits. And a couple of tapered bits, too. Place rod stock in vise, drill most of the way with 6" long 1/8" bit, switch to 6" long taper bit until there's no step, switch to 6" long 1/16" bit until you come out the other end of the rod. Put on the 5/32" taper bit and flare the entry hole. Done.

Of course, then you need either a lathe or a tenon tool if you want to do integral tenons, or VERY good hand skills if you do delrin.

The PIMO guide you've ordered has a nifty little setup that explains how to get close to drill press accuracy with a hand drill, also.
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

Alan L wrote:On the contrary, I drill all my stems freehand with a cordless drill and a set of 6" bits...
Damn, I thought I was the pistol drill crack shot :)
Pipes made in any way other than this should be forbiddden to bear the word handmade.