Polishing up a light coloured shank with a metal band

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
tritrek

Polishing up a light coloured shank with a metal band

Post by tritrek »

No, not polishing with a metal band, altough that must be fun too :mrgreen:

I mean, how can I polish a light stained shank, that has a brass/alu/etc ringed mouthpiece attached to it? It always messes my pipes up because the polishing wheel gets black from the metals and transfers the "blackness" back to the light shank... :takethat:
On the other hand, if I remove the mouthpiece while polishing the shank, the end where they meet will be rounded and will have a groove when I attach the mouthpiece. I'm puzzled...

I was thinking about making a "dummy" mouthpiece to it... but again, I am making it mostly when restoring pipes, so they are all different shanks, tenons, mouthpieces so I'd go crazy if I wanted to make a new faux stem to each and every..

How do you solve such a problem? Thank for your suggestions!
caskwith

Re: Polishing up a light coloured shank with a metal band

Post by caskwith »

I put a peice of tape around the shank and polish the band with a separate buff just for metals. Then i do the reverse when polishing the shank. Sometimes afterwards I need to give them a very light going over together but not hard enough to make the buff black.
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

caskwith wrote:I put a peice of tape around the shank and polish the band with a separate buff just for metals. Then i do the reverse when polishing the shank. Sometimes afterwards I need to give them a very light going over together but not hard enough to make the buff black.
Thanks Chris, that's what I do now as a workaround I just thought there's a >secret< way to do it only I don't know about :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

There is, but it's.... secret.

:lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
linearone

Post by linearone »

I've been looking for a more elegant solution to this problem myself. I have been taping but its not fool proof. After 320 grit on the whole pipe and metal shank extension I was considering going up to a very high grit like lets say 1000-1500, and then taping and buffing. Aluminum cuts so fast, even with tripoli that it melts grooves unless you are turning at a VERY slow speed.

Any tips and advice for aluminum shank caps/extensions?